Reason
Other
Country
ca
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
A friend's mother has MS and one day it progressed so quickly that she went from playing the piano to not being able to move in 24 hours. She has been in a hospital since late September and I am discouraged at the level of help that she has been getting as far as setting her up with some sort of dynamic communication device. They said that she will be assessed at the end of summer. For now they have pictures in binders, but she finds it so slow and gets so discouraged, often ending in tears.

I am trying to be a source of information for my friend and let her know what her mom can possibly use in the meantime. Ideally Dynavox Eyemax would be the most ideal as she has very little voluntary movement. But in the meantime, I am trying to find her a Dynavox V or even an MT4, for example and use the scanning function. And, an IST switch or some sort of ribbon switch that she could use to select the messages. So, my quest is to buy for her an older model communication device with a switch that she can use to bridge the gap until she can get assessed. If anyone has one of these older models...or the switches that can be used with minimal movement I would consider purchasing them. I feel for the family as they don't really know the process and what kind of devices are available to them.

I have had experience with my 5 year old son with Cerebral Palsy. We have tried all sorts of devices and I even bought a VMax for him (which I then sold on this forum) but with his hands not working very well he was having too many mis-hits. The eyemax is the way to go, I think. He hasn't proven to the people who authorize the purchase of the Dynavox Eyemax that he is perfect on it. I think the little guy just needs a bit of time to try it out. nfortunately, they won't let him try it out, until he can do it well. It is a frustrating system. So, we will be saving up now for an Eyemax and hopefully get one by the end of the year. In the meantime, if I can help this family out I would be very happy.

Thanks for reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back