Not open for further replies.

Stevesmom

Country
US
State
NY
City
Schenectady
Hello. My courageous and wonderful son died in May of this year. He did not have ALS, but was born with an abnormally formed brain, which resulted in spastic quadriplegia. He had no voluntary movement, but was intelligent and socially at age level (22). 3 weeks before he died, he received his brand new Eyemax, which had been wildly successful for him during the trial. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in purchasing it, which would be less expensive than buying it from Dynavox (for those without insurance). The cost was $16,890.00 with the infinitely adjustable stand (he had to use it from his bed sometimes). I also bought the wirless gadget to make it an open system for the internet. All you'd need is a $45 software CD from Dyanvox to open it. They said you'd have to call to get another warranty, since they are not transferrable. I'd love to be able to donate it, but I'm left with debt as well as sorrow. So I'm open to offers. My son would want someone to be getting the benefit of this wonderful device. You are all in my thoughts and prayers as you face each new challenge.

Re: Eyemax

Steves Mom...if you can't find someone to purchase the device...maybe you could donate it to the St. Peters ALS center as a tax write off. I know that we received a donated eyegaze and it has been a lifesaver for my husband who has been suffering form ALS for 4 years. I understand the financial burdens...but the gift of speech is priceless for someone battling ALS.

God bless you, Steve's mom. I will keep eyes and ears open for need of Dynavox. Surely you will find a buyer. Debt just makes the loss so much worse. So sorry.

Hello Steve's mom,
I am interested in the Dynavox, if there is some way you could send me your email or post it here please?
Thankyou

Steve's Mom,

I'm VERY interested in the EYEMAX. Please contact me at 949-233-3045 or [email protected]. Thanks.

Stu ALSGuardianAngels.com

Al... Why aren't you posting my replies? I'm trying to purchase some of this stuff and will lose out. I need it for my many patients. Please post my messages. Stu

Sorry Stu but anything with an email address or link goes into moderation. Time to be approved depends on whether David or Joel or myself are up. Joel is on the west coast and the rest are in the east. We need this to keep out the scammers and spammers.

AL.

Hi, sorry to hear that. I m interested in purchasing since my dad was diagnosed and we would like to have this alternative
best

Stevesmom. Please accept our deepest sympathy. My brother, too does not have ALS (though my aunt did) but had a catastrophic brain stem stroke which left him in the 'locked-in' state - somewhat similar to ALS. Anyway, we are desperately searching for a Dynavox system with Eye-Gaze for him. He tried one in a demo and it is the first time he has really communicated in months. Unfortunately the 'new' price is just too steep. We are hoping to get it 'up and running' ASAP as my brother is 'counting the minutes.'
Thank you in advance.
Clare

I noticed that there is a V-Max and Eye-Max for sale on ebay for $2400 for both. It is a buy it now price so it isn't an auction.

Thanks so much for the info. I saw the Dynavox there and asked the seller how old it is. His/her reply: "I don't know I have had it for 14 months."
It might be two years. It might be five... My brother is a technogeek and has demo'd know the latest version ($17k plus thousands for mounts and such) and would be disappointed with an old model. We are looking for one that is not too old - VMax Plus with an EyeMax.
Thanks, again for the info.
Clare

Stevesmom has not visited the forum to check on her posting since September 19.

Hi, everyone. Since there hadn't been much interest in the Eyemax on this forum for a while, I put it on ebay. A man from Guam with ALS has purchased it ($1500 +shipping) and it's been sent to him. I'm happy because I think it will be put to good use, but I'm so sorry there isn't one for anyone who needs it. Clare, it would have been PERFECT for your brother - brand new (3 wks old) $17,000 model with all the fancy mounts, etc. I truly hope one becomes available for him.
All the best.....

Thanks to Stevesmom's generosity I can communicate even when my voice is weak. Does anyone know someone to contact at Dynavox regarding what must be a defective part, specifically the VMax battery? The battery is 6 months old but was used for just 3 weeks and does not charge even a little. I sent an email to Joanne Kaufmann at Dynavox on October 27th but haven't received a response from her. I don't even know if she is the right person to talk to. The customer service rep said that because Dynavox does not manufacturer the battery and I'm not the original purchaser that they will not replace it under warranty. She gave the analogy of someone who buys a new car then sells it thereby voiding the warranty. This was a bad analogy because with every new car I ever bought the warranty did transfer to the new owner until either the mileage was exceeded or the time since purchase was past. It is not the price of the battery that bothers me it is principle if you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back