Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Bergen County
How do PALS negotiate stairs. My only bathroom and bedroom is on the second floor. I got one estimate for around $3,000 complete

Also our contractor has been working hard to build a ramp outside but government specs' require A FOOT OF RAMP FOR EACH INCH OF HEIGHT. I would have a maze of ramp zigzagging all through our front garden.

Has anyone used a vertcal lift for outside. They appear to be expensive. I wonder if MDA would have any for loan

Bythesea-

As long as the ramp is on your property, you do not have to adhere to thosr specs.
Those numbers (1ft. of ramp per 1in. of height) are for commercial properties to accomodate all levels of disability, i.e. people in w/c , using walkers, canes etc. I know contractors who do ADA work say that- we had one guy who wanted to put a 12ft. ramp in our family room! We didn't use him!

A power w/c can navigate a slightly steeper incline; but if you are using a walker or cane, or even if someone is pushing a manual w/c you can't go as steep.
Not sure where you are now- w/c?

We have a 10ft. ramp for a 16in. rise (2 steps) in the garage, an 8ft. ramp for a 12in.
rise inside in our family room, and a 7ft. ramp for 12in. rise going out to the patio. It depends what incline you are comfortable with.

We did a test with a portable ramp for the family room- tried a 6ft. ramp for 12in. rise.
It was a little steep for my husband; unlike Al aka "Evil Knevil" who told me it would be OK. LOL A power w/c can handle it, it depends on the nerves of the driver!

There are lifts for outside- Al has one & I believe he recently posted about it & gave the website for someone else. As for inside, some use lifts here- Ann (abbaschild) has one-
I think I saw a picture of it on one of her albums (Ann?).

There are also stair/chair glides- sit in the chair, turn it on & glide up the stairs.
These can be purchased (they are expensive around $3000) or some companies will rent them. The problem with these are they will not serve you long, depending on your progression. Once you can not transfer safely to the chair or if trunk weakness sets in, this is no longer practical. Renting to buy time until you have another solution, i.e. building/renovating a first floor bedroom & bath would be an option though.

I don't know if there would be any lifts available from MDA or ALSA. No harm in asking.
I'd also ask about a stair glide. I have heard these are available on occasion.

Last edited:
Bythesea,

Our house was like that also. We had a small bathroom on the 1st floor that had enough space for a 5ft shower. Do you have any options like that? We did our for less than 500.

Marianne thanks for the information, I am going to print out the figures that you gave as we are just about ready to get a walkway poured and the contractor is not that experienced with designing for disabilities. Once that is done the ALS Society is going to loan us a porch lift to go up 5' from ground to the deck and main living area of our house. I have my fingers crossed that it is done before winter, we have been trying to get someone to do it for over a year but I have trouble phoning people to yell at them ... ....

I do have a lift to go up 6 feet to the upper level. If you search Savaria Multilift the info is there. Mine was 5K 4 years ago but ALSA/MDA may have a looaner.

AL.

Attachments

• lift.jpg
    lift.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 276
  • LiftandBathroom_0218.JPG
    LiftandBathroom_0218.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 339
Hi, I have a slightly used stair lift to get upstairs to the only shower and my bedroom. I'm dreading the day when I can't get on the damn thing. It cost $3600 but is in 2 sections to accommodate a curve. I also have a deck lift like the one pictured. I use it to get my scooter outside. The estimates for front ramps were all over the place. I also had to have a sidewalk to the bikepath out in back. The lift cost about $8000 with all the additions, but I deducted the whole thing on last year's taxes.
I'm getting the last piece of the puzzle next week--a used minivan. Then we can take trips with the powerchair I got from Stu 2 weeks ago. I just can't do it the old-fashioned way with a push chair. By the time one of those jaunts is over I'm as good as paralyzed.
Good luck. A ramp is a lot cheaper than a deck lift.
Carol

I do have a lift to go up 6 feet to the upper level. If you search Savaria Multilift the info is there. Mine was 5K 4 years ago but ALSA/MDA may have a looaner.

AL.

wow i like that

Thanks all for your experienced advice. The stairclimber salesman was unbelievably knowledgeable about ALS, even suggesting I spend the money on a first floor bath first.

Even he raised the issue with progression. It's like you don't imagine it and then it rears its' ugly head. Am going to the clinic in less than three weeks, I'll ask about an vertical lift

Gravity sucks but it hath it's way

We just put in a vertical lift ( an incline lift on the stairs would not fit and a chair lift wouldn't work long term). 20k + construction 7k, but my hubby will be able to get up to the kitchen/living/bedroom area in our split level and downstairs to the family room! I'll see if I can post a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back