Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Wa.
City
Puyallup
This is just an FYI for those of you who are unaware of this program. I do not have ALS, but my dad does, and I myself am disability and know first hand the mounting costs of RX plans and the damn doughnut hole. There is help for people who do qualify and this government website explains how you can get more help. It doesn't even count your home or other things that you would think that would knock you out of the running. It worth a look at. www/ssa.gov/pubs/10509.htm. I hope this helps some of you!
Hugs,
Blubear :D

Oh shoot! I posted the website wrong and dont know how to edit it, but the correct address is www.ssa.gov/pubs/10609.htm Sorry people!
Blubear

I will check that out..we got to our doughnut hole period in two months with the cost of rilutek. Now my hubby is trying to decide wether it is worth the 1,300 out of pocket each month for the next 3 months. We would reach the out of pocket expense..but it starts all over again in Jan. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and purchased an advantage plan with gap coverage (that covers rilutek)? Like this disease is not challenging enough without an extra 1,000 a month for one prescription.
THanks..Kelly

Hi Kelly,
Currently, I have United health care Secure Horizons as my medicare health/RX plan. The plan itself is being discontinued in 2010. What I have learned though is that with certain plans, once you hit the doughnut hole they have a "contracted price" for the medication. If the medication you want is not included in the plan at all, then it pays to shop around to all pharmacy's to get the best price. Now is the time to plan what company you will use to your medicare medical/RX plan, and make a list of like Humana, United Health care (who also handles AARP) and tell them the meds you want covered and see how much it will cost you and if they have a contracted price for when you hit the doughnut hole. There are some big differences in policies that you can get. Plus some policies dont cost even a dollar more off of your social security check, others, its around 100.00. You have to add up all the factors to make the right choice. One thing I learned last year is to not wait until the last minute to sign up. I was excited not to be in the doughnut hole again as of January 1st, but because I waited until the last minute to decide on the insurance, it wasnt loaded in any of the pharmacy computers and I ended up paying full price, and it was a giant headache trying to get any money back from the insurance company. Let me know if you get any help from the Govt. web site I listed on this thread. Good luck!
Hugs,
Blubear

**NOTE PEOPLE, ....by clicking on the government website I listed above, it may take you to a page that does not work/exist. You have to TYPE out exactly as I had it on thread number 2 to get it.
Blubear

Thanks Kari! I am off to a dental appt for a crown. HATE IT but have to do it before I lose our private insurance, will check all of this our when I return home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back