Diagnosis
02/2009
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Pagosa Springs
I am just wondering if most insurance company's pay for a Bipap machine ? Mine did not pay for the talking device of any kind. So, I am wondering if this is what I have to look forward to with this machine also? What is the cost of one> Thanks, Linda:-|

I've priced them online, and the model I have is a couple thousand dollars, I think. One I wanted was $6,500 online, but it was upscale from mine. Medicare pays for them. I'm sure each insurance company varies.

Try Muscular Dystrophy Assoc. or your local ALSA office. Many people get them free as loaners.

Hello Handinhand,

I didn't qualify for Medicare because I hadn't worked in the last ten years and am under 65. My insurance company wouldn't cover the $600 per month rental fee. My husband talked with the medical supply company and they agreed to sell us one for $2,000 instead of $3,000. They applied to my insurance company and they agreed to cover $750, maximum amount for durable goods. The medical company is now billing us $250 a month until we reach the $2,000. I will have to pay for replacement masks etc myself when the time comes.
The original company that the clinic set me up with wouldn't sell us one, just rented them for the $600 a month, and so we found a different company, my husband has a c-pap so we called his company, they were more understanding, and worked with us.

I am learning quickly that we have to advocate for ourselves, don't take no for an answer, at least not the first time!

I was hoping to hear that is is much easier to get the bipap. I guess it doesn't matter if we communicate or breath? Thanks for the information. Linda

I am just wondering if most insurance company's pay for a Bipap machine ? Mine did not pay for the talking device of any kind. So, I am wondering if this is what I have to look forward to with this machine also? What is the cost of one> Thanks, Linda:-|

Many insurance companies and Medicare Part B covers bipap vpap machines - our insurance required that the patient use the machine at least 4 hrs a day (this is tracked on a sim card in the machine and read by your vendor). Our was rent to own so to speak - we rent for the first year and then you own it. They are quite expensive and our insurance has a 20% durable medical equip deductible so it can be costly. Unfortunately the bipap didn't work well so we have already returned it.

Regret that I can't remember the cost right now. My insurance paid a substantial amount,however, since it was so costly our portion of the bill was still very substantial. I haven't had it long enough to order new masks etc. I expect the same payment arrangement.

Thanks for all the information. I know that the MDA closet has one... Wondering about using someone else's pipap? Most things I am fine about.. Just don't know about that L

Don't worry about using someone elses bipap. Its the hose and mask that you want to be new.

Harvey

Ask the MDA if they can recommend someone to set the bi-pap at the level you need and help you find a msk that works.

Marianne

the pulm Dr will have to reset the device tailored to your specs

I hesitated to resurrect this thread, as it was started by Linda, and Beth also has a post in it, but I was looking for a thread on bipap in the tips/tricks.gadgets section, and this was the best one, as the information is all very useful.

What I wanted to post has nothing to do with insurance coverage, although I guess it would be good to insert that I've not had to apply through either private insurance (back when I had it) or Medicare, that my doctor or RT has always put in the paperwork for me.

Now for the "tip":

I've been on bi-pap for two years now. Recently the settings needed to be adjusted so that the inhale pressure is stronger. I was kind of surprised that it took me a while to grow accustomed to the change (but I did). However, what I found interesting, is that I needed to bop up the humidity setting. It makes sense in a way, but would not have expected it.

I think the humidity need is largely driven by not only a person's preferences, but also the temperature and humidity of the room. I'd been comfortable with it on "2" (this is with a hose insulator and much of the hose under the blanket). I didn't get rain out, and the surface of my nose had less problems with that "hair tickling it" sensation, than it did with the machine set warmer. Now, with the extra velocity it has to stay on "3" but feels like it did on the lower setting with the lower pressure.

I noticed in November when my Bipap settings were increased that i also needed to increase the humidity setting but I just assumed that it was because the winter air was drier in the house. Maybe both increased air flow and drier room air but I also have a room humidifier so you are probably right, more the increased flow.

Adjusting your central heat/air, fan and/or a low voltage mattress pad can all add options to the temp/humidity tradeoffs, esp. in winter.
And just to get back to insurance in case someone needs to know, DME benefits in private plans can vary from 0 to unlimited (assuming network providers). So it's worth checking what your benefit is. But if the loaner closet is bare and coverage limited, Second Wind is another option for used (but cleaned) equipment and you can also sell/donate a machine that you no longer need. If you cannot afford a machine at all, you can ask your doc to apply for a donation on your behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back