Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Ottawa
Hi there, new to the community.

Have been using the forum as a resource for some time now. Diagnosed 2 years ago - under the radar for 3.

My Uncle is a firefighter with ALS. Bottom up, now in wheelchair with little to no movement. He is always cold and likes to wear slippers, but they don't fit. Any suggestions? Looking for socks with velcro he heard of...

Also, he is not eating - due to bad taste. Any suggestions on getting the calories into him? He sleeps all the time. Smokes 2 packs a day and has diabetes.

Wow your uncle sounds like a handful. It sounds like you want to help him out. My husband has battery operated slippers that are warm and even vibrate. My fourteen year old likes to wear them for fun. I a the one who is sick and I have a pair fo slippers that get put in the microwave and get warm, they are kind of a S-M-L type sizing. Hope this helps somewhat.

Here is how I solved my cold feet problem.
Boots for cold feet

As far as eating problems the best solution is a PEG (feeding tube) is he open to that?

When my wife could no longer eat sufficient amounts of regular food we gave her Ensure. There are a number of similar products that provide fairly complete nutrition.

I have a little old church lady that knits slippers for me to my size. I wear a device called ready wraps on my feet and calves instead of pressure gradient stockings. They're fairly bulky so I need extra large slippers. Can't get them big enough in stores.

AL.

I gave my mother Ensure also. She had a feeding tube and I would ad things to it that had mega calories. She never knew LOL When she found out she would just give me that sweet smile. I always got permission from doc though. I would go to GNC store and ask about calorie intake and they would refer to me some things. That is where I found out about CO-Q10 being good. I love GNC store :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back