Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Utah
City
Salt Lake City
A few months after my wife was diagnosed with ALS she was no longer able to drink from a glass or cup. She was able to use a straw. After a while this too proved to be difficult. I noticed that she could draw the drink part way up the straw but did not have the suction to bring the liquid to her mouth. I then realized that she should use a shorter and larger diameter straw to be able to again drink. A local fast food restaurant provided a large diameter straw for drinking thick milk shakes. They gave me a box of these straws which I shortened. My wife was able to driink more easily with these fat, short staws. We also used a child's sippy cup. One brand has a bendable straw that is short and works well. Further it can be used to seal the cup when by simply bending the straw. This prevents the cup from spilling when not in use.

good idea, i am going to keep that in mind

In the UK you can get a one way straw, supplied by SLP Once you suck up, it will not drain back again. I did try one, but found it too hard to suck anyway....nil by mouth now

Thank you so much for the great advice you have been providing on the forum!

By the way, I am so sorry you lost your wife. Thank you for caring enough about the welfare of other pALS and cALS to visit this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back