Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
I have had past problems with a sore red spot on the bridge of my nose, and under my nose from the mask. Some days it eventually fades, other days it actually looks like a sore, or is deep enough to where the skin is broken.

There is a product by Band Aid (intended to prevent blisters from forming from rubbing shoes) called Friction Block. Its a rub-on balm, in stick form, like chapstick.

Even though I don't think that the mask rubbing is the reason for the redness, on impulse I tried putting some on the places my skin gets irritated. Its only been three nights,but so far it seems to work. Perhaps its just enough of a barrier to protect the skin.

Sometimes we don't feel the actual rubbing when shoes cause blisters, so maybe its the same deal with the mask, it moves just a little while we have it on.... will update you guys if it stops being effective.

have you tried the Activa line of of masks by ResMed? only thing that saved my nose from pressure sores!
Patsy

Patsy,

After reading your suggestion, I looked that mask up online. I think enough time has passed to where Medicare will pay for a new mask, and I will try this one. The website had three variations, which one do you have?

Rose ... I'm interested in how it works for you. I found my first mask very painful, with the red patch on the nose. I ordered a full face mask online (across forehead to hairline and down to chin), and that helped the nose but put uncomfortable pressure on my lower teeth. Now I have a larger size version of my first "full face" mask, and it works. You can adjust the little bridge up to the forehead supports so that the bridge doesn't rub. I used bandaids across my nose with the first mask to protect the skin and it helped a little.

The vendor told me that they recommend changing masks every six months, and my insurance approved the new mask, so it must be true.

I am now looking for a mask I can wear with glasses. If anybody knows of a solution, let me know!

Rose-

Not to side-track Beth, but I am interested in the Friction Block you mentioned.
Did you find this at a chain pharmacy (e.g. CVS) or online?

Jim seems to be developing a pressure sore on his shin from his AFO's; he has the kind that look like soccer pads/guards. I"m thinking this might help prevent any breakdown.

Thanks!

Mare, it was either at Target or Walmart. I'd never seen it before, do not know if its new or not.

What I did with the insides of my AFO's so I could wear them without socks, was to buy Mole Foam by Dr Scholls. I stuck it right on the brace where it touched the inside of my foot. It lasts a long time before having to replace. I think this would be more effective for Jim. You just have to cut it to fit, and peel off the backing for self stick. This product is widely available.

Beth, I will let you know... BTW, the trouble I was having with my nose itching with the mask on, seems to lessen when I lower the humidity. Don't know why, don't care really if it keeps most of the itching at bay!

Last edited:
My mom has gone to the Mirage Liberty because the bridge of her nose was getting pretty beat up from the full face. She had to bounce between the small and large (one of them hurt her top teeth) but now it is much more comfortable for her.

Favorite mask

Andys favorite bipap mask was the Swift by Mirage. Here is a pic:

andy woody.jpg

We had a great respitory therapist who worked with Andy on a regular basis to find the most effective and comfortable one. (He had a very big head :-D). I think Medicare paid for one more frequently than one every 6 months. It's worth a mention to the folks at the clinic. Once he was on Hospice care, they paid for one every month. He liked the nasal pillows, as they didn't impede him from using reading glasses, and they leaked the least of all the other options he tried. Additionally, we could replace the nasal pillows frequently without having to replace the whole mask.

When he was in bed, we would use a chin strap and a bite guard along with this mask. He never had an issue with pressure points, although he would sometimes get sore just above his ears. We would reposition his straps and use a little antibiotic ointment and the problem would clear up.

Blessings,
Pam

Last edited:
I use the nasal Activa mask with a chinstrap. I tried different masks through my RT vendor before making my final choice and buying. Try that route?
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back