Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
We all agree on how great the PEG is and how easy it makes life (relatively speaking), but my mouth does not agree. It is seriously bored. First it couldn't talk, now it can't eat ... all it has to do is sit there all day and manufacture drool.

But I discovered that I can handle anything that dissolves in my mouth and more or less becomes just another component of saliva, like merangue or cotton candy. (ugh :cry:). I've also finally realized that my swallowing/saliva problems are all on the left side of my mouth. (The left side of my body is more affected than the right, so this makes sense.)

One of my favorite moments of the day used to be when everything was done, climbing into bed with a good book and some little snacks and blissing out. First thing they told me with ALS is "no eating while lying down." Pshaw!

However ... I discovered recently in my ongoing quest to appease my mouth that Hershey kisses dissolve in my mouth. And if I lie on my right side, and tuck one into my right cheek, it can quietly dissolve and get swallowed without the left side of my mouth even noticing there's anything going on! I can even chew it a little from time to time.

The big problem is getting the foil off the candy. My hands are getting a little useless, but I manage to scrape and claw the chocolate free. And 9 chocolates = 200 calories, so there's a little health bonus too. :lol: Gotta watch your health!

I'm sure they'll find my lifeless body one of these days with a Hershey kiss wedged in my throat ... but I'll have a big chocolatey smile on my face.

Beth- LOL

You're bored without the follies this weekend, aren't you?!? LOL

Mare ... Lord, I can't fool anyone any more. I'm facing the fact that I may actually have to do a little work around the house unless I can find some excuse to play at the computer. My husband and the cats are all asleep, the news is depressing, the caregiver doesn't come for another couple hours, cheesh.

They don't even have any new adorable animals on Cute Overload. :-(

I need a hug and a (Hershey) kiss.

Beth-

XOXOXOXOXO

(here's 5 of each- it wouldn't let me post with less than 10!)

THANK YOU FOR THE HUGS, MARE !

You've inspired me! I think I'll go wash the dish.

I'm quite fond of the PEZ candies. Good flavor, and they don't cause me much of a problem.

Beth, so glad that you are finding something to keep your mouth happy. I am going to have to try those kisses cause it seems like my menu keeps getting smaller and smaller. I do love chocolate!

Wow, what a great idea about those hershey kisses! Andy used to eat chocolate meltaways..they had peanut butter inside. They were divine....but once he got the peg, he never tried them again. I like that idea of putting them in your cheek. YUM!

Oh Beth,

You are the cutest! I love to read your posts and I just love how kind you are to animals and how creative you are. I am filled with admiration for you! I wish I lived closer, I'd bring you plenty of chocolate and hugs.

xoxoxo :) :D

Oh, look at Barry's wobbly pop! Coolio!

Hee , I had to smile imagining you with a Hersheys tucked in your cheek , like a little hamster . Do we have Hersheys over here ?
My mouth is complaining at being made redundant too , though I still manage semolina or custard on a good day . Sweets and chocolate I would like to have something that melts , but can't find anything that doesn't make me suddenly increase dribble to a flowing stream .
xx

On the good side, melting chocolate makes for an attractive brown dribble. My caregiver stared at me in horror and said, "What is that coming out of your mouth?"

I explained that with ALS, one's saliva turns brown. (As does one's hair. :lol:) I figure I've got to prep her well for her next PALS.

I reiterate what thelma said, Beth. How I wish I could stop by and "rub off" from you, your strength to endure and your faithful uplifting attitude. Bless you!

As usual Beth you are hilarious. I am always on the quest for something my mom can still eat, we have tried some of the hershey kisses but maybe need to try and tuck them better. My mom doesn't like the colored drool but I just say "who cares about the mess if you are enjoying it" and put a towel across her chest.

I wonder if M&Ms would work as well. They would certainly add a little pizzazz to the brown drool.

Everybody on the forum is so kind and you all write such nice things to me ... if it weren't for my EL meds, I'd be sobbing with happiness all the time! But I have a LOT of self-pity and (especially) anger. I kind of escape from it on the computer, and especially on the forum. I get angry not only at ALS and the endless obstructions of insurance and paperwork and ALS progression, but at my husband for being sick too, and our caregiver, because they are the handiest targets. Fortunately, "yelling" at someone is impossible on a Light/Writer. Everything's already in all caps.

And then, a cat purrs and rubs your ankle, and everything's all right with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back