Lost a loved one
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Kanata
Hello everyone,
My mother is beginning to use the lift for transferring. Looking for ideas on clothing options / tricks when using the lift with washroom routines. We are in the process of replacing seams with velcro but wondered if anyone else has found some helpful solutions. Many thanks.

Us women are at a disadvantage when we have to pee! Men have it so much easier. But I can tell you that when Andy had to use the toilet, he was still capable to shifting from cheek to cheek so I could slide his underwear off before strapping him into the sling. While he was still on the toilet, we would slide his briefs back on, again, with him leaning cheek to cheek.

Speaking of toilets, we had a friend install a SEATBELT. It was attached to the wall and we would click him in. This was after he took a header onto the bathroom floor. We now just hover him over the toilet using the lift and sling, but ours is a ceiling track lift that runs from his bed to the toilet and shower.

As for clothing, we actually had split his pants up the back, right down the center to his crotch. They would still look normal when he was sitting in his chair. We now just cut off the legs from sweat pants. His "leggings" slide on to his upper thigh, and he wears either a big tee shirt or sweatshirt to cover the rest of the area. As his disease progressed, he was put on a "bowel program" that has regulated him to pretty much once a day. So his routine now is to go directly to the bathroom from bed in his birthday suit. We then transfer him back to bed to get his briefs on. Once transferred to his chair, I then put the leggings on and put a tee shirt or sweat shirt over his head. The shirts are big enough that I don't have to cut them up the back, but this is an option.

Key words are comfort and simplify! And please, get rid of the belts. We used to see patients in clinic fully dressed with belts. And they were wheelchair bound!

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Valerie. Hang in there!
Blessings,
Pam

Let her wear skirts, dresses and no underwear. Makes it easier

I wear only tear away pants. The dome fasteners down the sides make it easy for on or off. They are getting hard to find now. You might try ebay.

AL.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. With these ideas we'll sort out what works best for Mom.
Have a restful night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back