Loved one DX
Country
US
State
State
City
City
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone might be able to help us out. My grandmother has ALS and is approaching the point where she can’t operate her speech device at all – but I have a good idea of how we can still make good use of device. I plan to install some normal remote access software on it, and then anyone in our family would be able to log in and use the device to show her pictures and whatnot remotely – without her having to actually manipulate the device herself. I believe this also would encourage her to use the device more, as she’s reluctant to even use it much.

We were very lucky to have the ALS foundation in our area supply the Say-it!Sam XP1 touch screen windows based device, but for insurance reasons – the device is locked out from the normal windows operation – which is preventing me from installing the remote access software.

There is a way to unlock this using either an activation code, or a USB drive which they will send you – although it seems this is not allowed because the device was paid for by insurance (they don’t want people to abuse insurance and use the device for non-medical reasons). If anyway has done the unlock on a device like this and would be willing to help me out, please send me a message. It would mean a lot, thank you.

Joe, if anyone looks at your profile they will not be convinced who you say you are. Someone using bogus information such as yours is usually up to something. Asking our members to participate in something possibly illegal is not allowed here.
I think you need to rethink your strategy.

AL.

Al -

I understand what you are saying and realize that this could sound sketchy, but I'm not sure how I could prove otherwise. I don't think what I am asking is illegal, but it would be bending the rules a bit - and that is why I was trying to stay a bit anonymous in my profile. I think it is worth bending the rules in this case - and I think others would agree. I know this sounds sketchy, but truly - my Grand-ma is very depressed because of her ALS and I think it would really help out her quality of life if our family could log in and show her pictures.

I'd be glad to talk in more personal detail to anyone willing to help us out - and I am sure then that that person would be more convinced.

Well -- Just off the top of my head I thought of something that might be a little more proof in what I am talking about: I am a computer technician, and it would be fairly easy to just reinstall windows from scratch on this device if I just wanted it for a computer, but I do not want to do that because it would remove the speech software that's loaded on it (that my grandmother with ALS needs). In addition, this device is only on loan form the ALS foundation, and so I won't get to keep it after my grandmother is done with it.

I hope this is resonable,
Thank you.

If you are concerned about staying anonymous and also acknowledge you are bending the rules then it is illegal. You can't justify it any other way - nice try! We do not allow that here and quit trying to rationalize it.

Since the device is a loaner and not owned by your grandmother, I'd say you don't have any right to make any changes to it. So, no, others don't necessarily agree with you concerning your efforts to "hack" the speech device, and, no, what you are asking is not reasonable.

If you think that having a device where family members could log in remotely would improve Grandma's morale, how about buying Grandma a netbook? They are relatively inexpensive these days, so if everybody chipped in a few bucks, nobody would be bearing the whole burden of the cost.

Of course, the cost of the unlock key for the existing speech device is probably comparable to the cost of a netbook, though, isn't it? Such a dilemma if you're trying to "get over" on the system, isn't it?

Agree with post above. Either pay for the key or buy a Net book. The device is set up as per the "owners" specifications to be used in a certain manner and if you circumvent it in any way I am sure you are in violation of some kind of agreement you probably signed and would most likely be held liable for any damages or costs incurred to reset the device.

I purchased the unlock key for the dynavox and it was less than 60 bucks. How much can the unlock key for the Say it Sam possibly be?

If you put a value on your time, you are already behind!

P

If the device is on loan it does not belong to you. You should contact the agency that loaned it to you to work out the problem.

Another solution if funds are the issue, the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) gives a one time grant of $2,000 for communication devices for persons with ALS. Why don't you look into what communication devices are available (within the grant amount) that would work well for your grandmother's limitations and let her choose one she likes.

A third option is if your grandmother is on Medicare or Medicaid they will pay for the purchase of a communication device. With the MDA grant of $2,000 you should have little to none out of pocket expenses.

This way your Grandmother will be part of the decision making process and she gets to have a communication device that belongs to her :)

vicki

husband diagnosed 11/97

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back