Diagnosis
05/2005
Country
CA
State
Ont
City
Carleton Place
I looked to see where you were having the bipap discussion couple of weeks ago.. and cannot remember if this idea was there or not.. Mom's nose is becoming quite red and sore from the bipap.. so we having been putting virgin olive oil on the bridge of her nose when ever she does not wear the bipap.. been helping alot lately.. not quite as sore..have to pat it off her nose when she wants to use the bipap.. but gives Mom comfort when it's not on..

My mum had the same problem and I cant stress enough to you to get it sorted straight away. Mums started red and sore, it then started to bleed and weep. It got worse and worse the more the bipap went on and then it turned into an ulser, you could see right through to the bone, she cried in pain when i put the bipap on, it was awful! You can get a padding from the hospice called grenuflex, if its used early on it can prevent this. i only wish someone had told me about it. Mum had horrific headaches from the ulser, it was awful. Get some thick padding on that nose straight away, dont let it break the skin, it may never heal. Mums never did.

Hope this helps

OMG.. I will stop at the store on the way to the city tomorrow to look for something litke that.. Thank you very very much!

Charger ,

When you find some , let us know what and where you found it. I periodically get redness on the bridge of my nose. Its not sore , just red .

I hope your mom finds relief from your kindness.

Glen

Charger ,

When you find some , let us know what and where you found it. I periodically get redness on the bridge of my nose. Its not sore , just red .

I hope your mom finds relief from your kindness.

Glen

Hi Glen.. Mom's nose is not sore.. Just very red.. and that is why I was putting olive oil on.. keeps the moisture in the skin..

Sorry guys didnt mean to scare you, I know some people just get some pressure sores, but mums just got so bad, i would hate to see it happen again. Unfortunately she was using the bipap a lot so once the skin breaks it wont heal. Even try some padded plasters for now.

The bipap was really bothering Mom today, the part that goes against her forehead.. ended up putting 3 or 4 gauze under ach side.. took the pressure off her forehead and her nose.. and the mask is actually sitting better on her chin..

Near the very end.. Mom's nose began to bleed..and her forehead was very red.. I ask the doctor's about a nose pillow for the bipap machine, I was told they need to start that in the early stages.. Just another idea for anyone just starting the bipap.. and another interesting thing I found out, hospitals and nursing homes have it..It's called mov fur.. and it comes in a roll.. stick a piece on their nose, and it stops the rubbing..

This thread may be the answer I've been looking for. My Mom's nose has been red for the last week or so, and this morning was bleeding slightly. I didn't want it to get any worse and have been looking all morning for a solution. This thread was started over a year ago, but it still has some great information on here! Thanks for the input!

I use Dr. Scholl's moleskin on my nose. It works pretty good as long as the skin hasn't broken yet.

AL.

I'll try and find some...thanks Al. We are relatively new to usingthe bi-pap for longer periods of time. Mom had been able to tolerate it for about 5 hours a night, but after some shortness of breath last weekend while transferring from the chair to the hospital bed, it scared her. Since then, she's wore it all night. She has us tighten the straps more than I think is necessary and not only has the place on her nose, but also her forehead. (She's scared of it sliding down while sleeping, I'm sure). I say that is the cause of the redness and bleeding, but that may be my ignorance.

Hello, all. Just found this thread looking for help with other stuff.

We use a small band-aid across the top of Mom's nose. It does help. Even more so, put a little cream (neosporin, something) with the band-aid.

God bless,
Nan

Hello, AL's idea of using mole skin is a good one. We also used duroderm and tegaderm. They worked well on sore areas around the nose and also on the curve of the ear, (sis was on her side 95% of the time, easier to breath on that side) They do not have to be changed every day and do a good job of cushioning and protecting red areas. I even used it on the ankle bone to relieve pressure. I think it is available in drug stores and thru visiting nurse.
Hope this helps
Jane

Nan,

We have been trying the band-aid/neosporin for about a week now. It seems to have helped a bit, but now trying to get her nose to heal has become the main focus. During the day I try not to put anything on it, and let it try and dry out. There just insn't enough time during the day to let it begin to heal and I'm starting to feel like we're in an endless cycle.

Al and Jane,

I've purchased some of the mole skin and also "friction block" made by band-aid, but haven't had the chance to try them yet since the skin has broken.

Thanks for all the input!

Chris

My husband had the same problem with the bi-pap. The bridge of his nose was raw down to the bone and nothing helped. Finally, the company that provides the bi-pap gave us a new product called "Comfort Care" . They are jelly like pad that you put on your nose. It took a while but his nose healed up beautifully and he has not had a problem since. They are wonderful and much better than anything else we tried. Each strip lasts a few weeks and I'm not sure of the cost since Hospice paid for them.

Good Luck

Lin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back