Old 07-11-2018, 09:46 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Rockville Centre
State: New York
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
justolemom is on a distinguished road
Default Foot Straps?

I am having a difficult time keeping my feet on my Permobile footrest. my feet get cold and swell a bit during the day so i use the leg lift and recline to help with that, something they recommended to do every hour for 3 minutes. My problem comes when i go back to regular sitting position. my legs are spastic and often slide off the paddle. this is ok when someone is here - but i have a hard time getting them back on alone. Does anyone have a suggestion/hack to keep feet on the rest/paddle?

thanks for any thoughts/advice. This forum, and all who post, are so helpful and knowledgable.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:14 AM #2 (permalink)

City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to behold
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Foot Straps?

I have thigh supports that keep my legs in position. Works great for keeping legs and feet in place.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:10 AM #3 (permalink)

Thank you- but i also have the thigh support, but my feet still slip off to the sides.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute

I think my sister used a kind of stretchy soft material around her feet / leg rest
Thanks from
justolemom (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

There is something called Ankle Huggers® that support without pressure (disclaimer: I worked for the manufacturer). Your DME can order them or they are available on line. But if your footplates are not slotted, slots would need to be drilled.

Take care that any homemade solutions (that could include an overlay in the footplates for more friction, like gel or sheepskin, though that may not be enough for spasticity) do not put pressure on the top or sides of the foot.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited by lgelb : 07-12-2018 at 12:36 PM
Thanks from
justolemom (07-11-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 05:57 AM #6 (permalink)

City: Carrollton
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 12/2017
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Chincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura about

Chincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura about

After being bed ridden for several weeks and after receiving her own fitted PWC we finally lifted my wife from her bed to the power wheel chair.

Foot rests were the first problem.

She could not bend her legs enough and her feet extended beyond the end of the rests.

Adjusting the rests made the problem worse.

I used the top from an old TV table and placed it across the rests effectively extending their length and width.

This worked really well but we had to careful not to hit objects when moving. The TV table top also extended the radius for turning etc.

The wheel chair guy will be here tomorrow and might fix or suggest other ways of addressing the problem.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:48 AM #7 (permalink)

thank you - I will see if my husband can come up with something like that, extending the surface for my feet should help. I did like the ankle straps suggested and thought they would definatley keep my legs correct and on paddle but the paddles don't have holes and I cant imagine how you could drill holes into them.

please keep me posted pm what wheelchair tech suggests,

thank you
Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 PM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

You can drill into the footrests (well, a tech can). DMEs do this all the time.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:10 PM #9 (permalink)

City: Yakima
State: Washington
Diagnosed: 06/2013
bkite is just really nicebkite is just really nicebkite is just really nicebkite is just really nicebkite is just really nice
City: Yakima
State: Washington
Diagnosed: 06/2013
bkite is just really nicebkite is just really nicebkite is just really nicebkite is just really nicebkite is just really nice

I got a package of 1 x 20 velcro straps and one on each foot secures my feet when bouncing around on rough terrain.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:59 AM #10 (permalink)

Wheel chair guy came yesterday to fit my wife's PWC. Foot rests are still a problem. Wife can't tolerate the knee bend.

Also, our electric Hoyer lift would not lift all the way up. From the sound it appears the gears are worn and slipping. Is is from the loner closet and the wheel chair guy said it was probably used to lift very heavy people and suffered damage as a result.

I went to the loner closet and got another one. It is manual but more manageable and does better on carpet.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, back, cold, foot, helpful, lift, problem