Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
CO
City
Colorado Springs
Does anyone know of an affordable car power adapter for the Trilogy?

I've found the Phillips one, at $289, which must be a markup in the thousands!

Greg,

Let me look into the power draw requirements for the Trilogy 100. Once wattage & current requirements are known, the rest becomes easy to determine. I'll be back...

Jim

Greg,

Found this interesting piece of information. Just do a google search for "Gwendolyn's Power and Backup Power - Google Docs" to find information on what someone else used successfully. Hope this helps!

Jim

Here's what I found on the requirement for AC input -
AC Voltage Source:
100 to 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 2.1 A

So... WATTS = AMPS X VOLTAGE
POWER (WATTS) = 2.1 AMPS X 110 VOLTS
POWER (WATTS) = 231 WATTS

Therefore, a 12 volt to 110 inverter capable of 300 watts should work nicely for steady state use. I would think that the battery would compensate for any higher starting surge. A search of amazon can give you plenty of options. Or call one of your local mobility centers and see what they might recommend... and then use those specs. It really looks like you should be able to easily do this for less than $100.00.

Jim

Thnx, Jim!

Here's the direct link

But sadly, they had the Trilogy cig adapter.

But there is also discussion on inverters, which is a good alternative if it'll handle the load.

Here is the Trilogy power spec
2.1 A @ 100 VAC = 210 Watts

So the inexpensive car inverters (300 watt versions!)
appear adequate.

If you followed Jim's link you may have noticed the comment that the small car inverter couldn't power the cough assist.
I've not yet found which machine they were referring to, but here is the power spec for the PR Trilogy T70 Cough Assist
90 to 264 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 2A/1A​

The wattage isn't listed, but the 110 draw is 2amps which is less than the Trilogy 100.
So: OK for cough assist too.

Last edited:
Greg,

An inverter will have a 12v cigarette/round connection for the auto side and 3-prong standard AC outlet for the trilogy side. Isn't that what you're looking to use? I'd think that if you put the trilogy in the car, running off of its own internal battery and then connected it to the inverter...it would continue to run the trilogy and charge the trilogy's batteries at the same time.

Thanks for including the link. I didn't do so myself as it would then go into moderator approval mode. I forgot that you were also a Mod and would still see it. I didn't know how much of a hurry you were in for an answer. :)

I might just have to get an inverter to actually see if it works as I think it would. I'll let you know if/when I do so.

Jim

Jim,
Initially I was looking for the direct car to Trilogy adapter, but the inverter looks to be more flexible.

We were given a car charger for the Trilogy from our provider, but could never get it to charge the machine. We tried three different plugs in the van. We finally gave it back to them.

We just got a deal like Jim is talking about. plugs into the cigarette lighter then has standard plugs. Worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back