Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Poquoson
Because of ALS, Darcey's legs often ache or itch. Her left leg, in particular, bothers her the most. She likes for me to push against her shin with the heel of my hand. She says that the pressure just feels good.

My daughter has her rabbit staying with us. Darcey likes having the rabbit in her lap. So I set her up with a sheet that we use just for the rabbit. Darcey often has her legs straight out in her PWC... and the rabbit likes to stretch out in the valley between both legs. When active, the rabbit likes to run up and down from Darcey's feet to her chest. That running, when it happens over her legs, is another "feel good" thing.

A few days ago, I got out the electric (battery) razor to shave the left leg (missed or forgotten by our home health care worker). That vibration of the razor on her shin was another "feel good" thing. And so I began to think...

I went online to Amazon with the idea of getting some kind of hand-held vibrating massager that I could use on her legs as a special treat. What I came away with in my shopping cart was an Air Compression Calf Massager. It arrived, yesterday, and Darcey rolled her eyes at me when I pulled it out of the box and showed it to her.

It is basically a cuff that gets wrapped around either leg (or arm... or foot) and is velcro'd to stay snug (much like a blood pressure checker). Each cuff has a two-channel air hose that connects to the control device. The control device also connects to an AC to DC adapter for power. It has two different massage modes and three selectable pressure modes... for the air bags in each cuff.

I put a cuff on each of Darcey's legs, hooked everything together and turned it on. Again, Darcey rolled her eyes... but this time they rolled back into her head as a dreamy smile spread across her face. She says that she's now addicted to this device. She didn't know anything could make her legs feel so good. Her only complaint is that it times itself to "off" after 15 minutes of use. But I've tried to compensate for that by turning it back on every time I walk in to check on her.

Honestly, while hopeful that Darcey might like it, I never imagined the absolute joy it would bring her. And in the spirit of wanting to share our personal successes, I had to report on it here. Our model FT-008A was $59.99 and has already proven to be worth every penny.

My best...

Jim

What a sweet story and great suggestion. I also liked the part about the rabbit :)

Jim,

Thank you so much for the wonderful story and I'm so glad Darcy loved the new therapy. Guess I'll be visiting Amazon tonight. My legs have all kinds of sensory issues and it feels good to have deep massage.

yep, I guess amazon is going to be busy. I have been thinking about getting one so it's nice to know it works so well.
wendy x

I ordered mine last night.

Jim, you are the best! Matt has a lymph pump and leg sleeves from the days in the chair when he swelled a lot, He's in bed most of the time now, but he likes to spend an hour or so on it every day. Like Darcey, he says it feels good.

Please hug your bride for me. I think of the two of you often.

Hugs,
Becky

Getting Darcey up in the mornings and downstairs is easily an hour (plus) long process. When complete, she's in the family room, next to her computer (headphone with boom mic ready for dictation), TV on and all covered up (she's often cold). Once done, I ask what she'd like next. This morning, when I said, "Okay... now what?", she replied - "Cuff me, please!" and gave me sly smile. Yep... she definitely likes her new massager. :)

Jim

It sounds wonderful, I'm thinking of getting one now I have no one to massage me ... :D

Aw Tillie, I’d love to beam over some hunky young Aussie to massage your feet :).

Jim,
You take such good care of Darcy. I can't wait to get mine!

Tillie, My housemate (and former boyfriend), was a massage therapist before getting his graduate degree. He was also a ocean lifeguard. On our first date he gave me a two hour massage, then went home. Unfortunately, he cut a nerve in his left arm doing yard work a few years ago and his left hand is atrophied. He can hardly use it. He had surgery and PT but nothing worked.

So, here he is.

Attachments

• 457042_10150664122112677_144569625_o.jpg
    457042_10150664122112677_144569625_o.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Whoa!! Send him to Tillie!

That picture was 30 years ago!

Here's another of us 20 years ago and one after my onset. Age leaves nobody behind but it's kinder to some.

Attachments

• Kim & Fred.jpg
    Kim & Fred.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 2017.jpg
    2017.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 298
JIM; just cut and pasted part of your story in my notes on gadgets and devices. I'm accumulating these references for future needs. You did good!

Jim, love reading your posts. :)

Kim, love your pictures!

Angie

Oh no come on you gals I can't take him off Kim! :shock:

Air compressor it is for me I think :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back