Old 03-06-2018, 03:38 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Poquoson
State: VA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
JimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to all

JimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to all
Default Air Compression Calf Massager

Because of ALS, Darcey's legs often ache or itch. Her left leg, in particular, bothers her the most. She likes for me to push against her shin with the heel of my hand. She says that the pressure just feels good.

My daughter has her rabbit staying with us. Darcey likes having the rabbit in her lap. So I set her up with a sheet that we use just for the rabbit. Darcey often has her legs straight out in her PWC... and the rabbit likes to stretch out in the valley between both legs. When active, the rabbit likes to run up and down from Darcey's feet to her chest. That running, when it happens over her legs, is another "feel good" thing.

A few days ago, I got out the electric (battery) razor to shave the left leg (missed or forgotten by our home health care worker). That vibration of the razor on her shin was another "feel good" thing. And so I began to think...

I went online to Amazon with the idea of getting some kind of hand-held vibrating massager that I could use on her legs as a special treat. What I came away with in my shopping cart was an Air Compression Calf Massager. It arrived, yesterday, and Darcey rolled her eyes at me when I pulled it out of the box and showed it to her.

It is basically a cuff that gets wrapped around either leg (or arm... or foot) and is velcro'd to stay snug (much like a blood pressure checker). Each cuff has a two-channel air hose that connects to the control device. The control device also connects to an AC to DC adapter for power. It has two different massage modes and three selectable pressure modes... for the air bags in each cuff.

I put a cuff on each of Darcey's legs, hooked everything together and turned it on. Again, Darcey rolled her eyes... but this time they rolled back into her head as a dreamy smile spread across her face. She says that she's now addicted to this device. She didn't know anything could make her legs feel so good. Her only complaint is that it times itself to "off" after 15 minutes of use. But I've tried to compensate for that by turning it back on every time I walk in to check on her.

Honestly, while hopeful that Darcey might like it, I never imagined the absolute joy it would bring her. And in the spirit of wanting to share our personal successes, I had to report on it here. Our model FT-008A was $59.99 and has already proven to be worth every penny.

My best...

Jim
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JimInVA For This Useful Post:
affected (03-07-2018), Chincoteaguer (03-08-2018), Dgnk (03-11-2018), frankb (03-08-2018), KateEmerson (03-07-2018), Kathy K (03-06-2018), KimT (03-06-2018), shieldsee (03-07-2018), WendyWooG (03-07-2018), wishmobbing (03-12-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 04:06 PM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
KarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant future
Very Helpful Member

KarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant future
Default Re: Air Compression Calf Massager

What a sweet story and great suggestion. I also liked the part about the rabbit
Old 03-06-2018, 05:16 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

Jim,

Thank you so much for the wonderful story and I'm so glad Darcy loved the new therapy. Guess I'll be visiting Amazon tonight. My legs have all kinds of sensory issues and it feels good to have deep massage.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:28 AM #4 (permalink)

City: Stevenage
State: Hertfordshire
Diagnosed: 07/2016
WendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of light
City: Stevenage
State: Hertfordshire
Diagnosed: 07/2016
WendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of light

yep, I guess amazon is going to be busy. I have been thinking about getting one so it's nice to know it works so well.
wendy x
Old 03-07-2018, 09:08 AM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

I ordered mine last night.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 AM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of

Jim, you are the best! Matt has a lymph pump and leg sleeves from the days in the chair when he swelled a lot, He's in bed most of the time now, but he likes to spend an hour or so on it every day. Like Darcey, he says it feels good.

Please hug your bride for me. I think of the two of you often.

Hugs,
Becky
Thanks from
JimInVA (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:47 PM #7 (permalink)

Getting Darcey up in the mornings and downstairs is easily an hour (plus) long process. When complete, she's in the family room, next to her computer (headphone with boom mic ready for dictation), TV on and all covered up (she's often cold). Once done, I ask what she'd like next. This morning, when I said, "Okay... now what?", she replied - "Cuff me, please!" and gave me sly smile. Yep... she definitely likes her new massager.

Jim
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JimInVA For This Useful Post:
Angiegal (03-08-2018), KarenNWendyn (03-07-2018), KimT (03-07-2018), WendyWooG (03-10-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 07:32 PM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds wonderful, I'm thinking of getting one now I have no one to massage me ...
Old 03-07-2018, 07:47 PM #9 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

Aw Tillie, I’d love to beam over some hunky young Aussie to massage your feet .
Old 03-07-2018, 07:52 PM #10 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Jim,
You take such good care of Darcy. I can't wait to get mine!

Tillie, My housemate (and former boyfriend), was a massage therapist before getting his graduate degree. He was also a ocean lifeguard. On our first date he gave me a two hour massage, then went home. Unfortunately, he cut a nerve in his left arm doing yard work a few years ago and his left hand is atrophied. He can hardly use it. He had surgery and PT but nothing worked.

So, here he is.
Attached Thumbnails
Air Compression Calf Massager-457042_10150664122112677_144569625_o.jpg  

Last edited by KimT : 03-07-2018 at 08:02 PM
Old 03-07-2018, 08:17 PM #11 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

Whoa!! Send him to Tillie!
Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 AM #12 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

That picture was 30 years ago!

Here's another of us 20 years ago and one after my onset. Age leaves nobody behind but it's kinder to some.
Attached Thumbnails
Air Compression Calf Massager-kim-fred.jpg   Air Compression Calf Massager-2017.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KimT For This Useful Post:
Angiegal (03-08-2018), JimInVA (03-08-2018), WendyWooG (03-10-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:59 AM #13 (permalink)

City: Carrollton
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 12/2017
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Chincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura about

City: Carrollton
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 12/2017
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Chincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura about

JIM; just cut and pasted part of your story in my notes on gadgets and devices. I'm accumulating these references for future needs. You did good!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chincoteaguer For This Useful Post:
frankb (03-09-2018), JimInVA (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:30 AM #14 (permalink)

City: Kitchener
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 09/2015
Angiegal is a jewel in the roughAngiegal is a jewel in the roughAngiegal is a jewel in the roughAngiegal is a jewel in the rough
City: Kitchener
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 09/2015
Angiegal is a jewel in the roughAngiegal is a jewel in the roughAngiegal is a jewel in the roughAngiegal is a jewel in the rough

Jim, love reading your posts.

Kim, love your pictures!

Angie
Thanks from
JimInVA (03-08-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 11:34 AM #15 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Oh no come on you gals I can't take him off Kim!

Air compressor it is for me I think
Closed Thread

Tags
ache, als, arm, back, battery, foot, health, home health care, power, pressure, pwc, running