Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Austin
Just got this new PWC yesterday for Eileen. It is a new model that just came out last month. Wish it had been available 6 months ago. Anyway, the front wheels are NOT casters so there is no secondary motion caused by the casters flipping direction. So, movement is smoother.

Also, the Trilogy fits under the seat rather than hanging off the back. Short term, I will secure it with bungee cords. The PWC has a basket that fits under the seat as an alternative. Finally, the PWC weighs 115 lbs and breaks down quickly into 3 pieces for easier transport.

Attachments

• IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 274
That's a sweet ride! Does it work well on the gravel?

That's a sweet ride! Does it work well on the gravel?

It works much better than her 450 lb PWC. Packed gravel is fine, but loose can be a problem, I've got several spots that are 3-4" loose gravel and it will get stuck. But at least I can move it manually if needed. They have 4wd models that would work better, just heavier and more $$.

What make and model is it? Did you get it as an alternative to her bigger chair, or do you think this will replace the other chair? Glad it’s working out for you.

What make and model is it? Did you get it as an alternative to her bigger chair, or do you think this will replace the other chair? Glad it’s working out for you.

Whill model Ci. It will replace the bigger chair until I find something that the other chair can do better for her needs. On the other chair, she cannot raise or lower the arm rest like when parked next to the lift chair in the living room. If I forget and leave the arm up, she can't use the chair. If I left the arm down, she had to maneuver around that big arm when making a transfer. No problem with the Ci, she doesn't need my help.

The Ci moves very smoothly around the house and is smaller which makes driving it easier on her. The palm control works smoother than the T handle on the other chair. The Ci will handle outside terrain better and if stuck it will be easier for me to retrieve. Finally, I've verified that the Trilogy in it's travel case, fits inside the basket under the seat. I won't even need to strap it down. Oh, and she says the seat is more comfortable.

I will park the other chair in the garage for now.

I am glad that the new Whill is what Eileen needs for now, Larry -- just want to clarify that it has the turning radius of a scooter, and that it has no power functions such as tilt, recline, elevate. Nor is it reimbursable by insurance, though one of their models may be partially (the M). So none of their models is designed for anyone with significant trunk weakness, for instance.

For those considering whether a self-funded "bridge" power chair like this is worth it, Whill does have a test drive program available in some cities.

Laurie, I am not considering the Whill as a "bridge" chair for Eileen. She is not comfortable in the Quantum even with it's power functions. I had her use it in the living room in place of a recliner to avoid one transfer point, she wasn't happy. So I got her a reclining lift chair.:D

But then the transfer issue still exists and the arms on the Quantum are too heavy for her to raise or lower for transfers. It is also big and awkward for her to drive, kind of like bumper cars around the house. And it gets stuck. So, she has more independence with the Whill and as her hand control gets worse I believe she will be able to use it longer than the Quantum.

I can probably find a way to add chest straps and head support to the Whill when necessary. Finally, the Whill has a phone app so a CALS can drive it remotely. My view, insurance provided solutions are not the only answer and in some cases, clearly not the best answer.

Lacking tilt and recline is likely to be problematic in the future. My sister avoided using her power chair but ultimately had to be able to tilt and recline to be even slightly comfortable. Tilt was mostly used. I hope it is a long time before this is any issue at all but it is something to be aware of as you make plans

Nikki,

Did she use tilt while in motion or just stationary? If just stationary, how long could she tolerate not being tilted? Thanks

Here is a pic of the Trilogy, even with the travel bag it slips into the Whill basket very nicely. I won't need to strap down.

Attachments

• IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 165
She stayed in tilt all the time moving and in chair, in the van while traveling too. I don’t know if she was ever upright for more than a few moments She would be transferred and then immediately placed in tilt

Ditto -- Larry was never without some tilt as we tilted the chair before transferring him into it. Most PALS lose the core strength needed for that position to be comfortable.

Keep the Quantum in trim, Larry -- ultimately, Eileen will not be the one lifting the arms, and there are many drive control solutions beyond the stock joystick in its current position. In fact, for anyone with difficulty reaching out to the side for the joystick, consider a midline mount.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back