Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Spokane
Looking for ideas on a computer desk that would be more comfortable for my Pals to use. It can be uncomfortable after awhile to use a mouse, or to type for prolonged periods, due to shoulder stiffness.

Thanks

We put bricks under the legs of our computer desk to raise the height, but now BJ is using Tobi eyegaze.

One of the things I did when I started teaching online was invest in a customized chair and workstation. When I moved, I brought it with me and had the workstation reinstalled. If and when the time comes for me to be in a power chair instead of my workstation, I'll probably go with my iPad Pro docked on my chair. Meanwhile, my custom chair is the second most comfortable piece of furniture I own. It adjusts 10 ways and has memory foam. The arms adjust inward to support my arms so only my fingers are moving. It's a great setup for now but I'll have to address the height if I want to use it when I'm in my power chair. If my arms and fingers work longer than my legs, I'll just transfer from PWC to the comfy office chair.

The first requirement of a desk is support for weak arms. It AMAZES me that very, very few computer desks for wheelchair users have this feature! My arm support is cheap, easy to make, completely uncomplicated, and part of my desk itself. I use a piece of plywood with a deep cutout so that it wraps around my waist and extends far enough back to support my elbows. This tray slides out from under the desk top and rests on my wheelchair arm rests, providing support at just the right height for shoulder comfort. I have to rotate my wheelchair joystick to fit underneath, and then slide the tray out over me. The wrap around tray made it possible for me to use the keyboard much longer, and the mouse even now with minimal wrist strength.
I can also use the tray as a portable tray for my wheelchair. It is held onto my chair with two short bungee cords that hook through two small holes drilled into the back edge of the tray and then down to hook on the wheelchair frame. It is a really inexpensive, quick to set up, roomy solution for computing anywhere I go, but requires assistance to set up even if you have arm strength.
I have a great desk and the directions for assembling it are on my website. ALS From Both Sides: The Right Computer Desk
desk3.jpg

I have found that a wireless keyboard and mouse make a big difference. I can put the keyboard where I need it, including in my lap.

I also have a tray on my wheelchair that will accommodate a small keyboard. That prevents me from having to reach up to the desk to type.

Finally, I have read that some disabled folks prefer a trackball rather than a mouse. I used a trackball for years in the early part of my career and really liked it. I switched to a mouse because I had to work at many places so that did not have a trackball available.

I have considered moving back to a trackball when moving a mouse is too hard.

As for a desk, you can work on the ergonomics by ensuring the desk is high enough to allow the wheelchair to fit beneath it so your PALS does not have to reach for the desktop. In reality, it is hard to position a desk to accomplish this.

Steve

I use a laptop on

FCH Adjustable Laptop Stand with Tilting Function Rolling Lap Desk Cart Mobile Computer Table,Black
From Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back