Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
About a year and a half ago I bought a Golden (brand) Cloud (model) lift chair. Because I frequently eat watching TV, I got the faux leather. It is very soft and the most comfortable chair I've ever had. When I sprained my ankle, I slept in it for a couple of nights.

I highly recommend a lift chair and believe it is something that PALS will find useful and helpful.

You'll have to fight others because once they sit in it, they won't want to get out :razz:

It has two motors and can put you in just about any position you want. I used velcro to attach the remote control to the arm so it wouldn't fall off. I also used the extra piece of leather to have a remote control holder made and it works great and helps me keep track of my controls.

Attachments

• IMG_2302.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 243
Ditto. Got ours from Binson's med supply.

Definitely the only piece of equipment Chris actually really liked was his lift chair.

I have what looks like the identical chair, also from Golden Technologies. It has a massage and heat function, though the massage seems fairly light. I got mine through the First Street catalog. It was delivered and set up for me . So far I'm loving it. In fact, my CALS won't get out of it :-(.

I have a Golden Tech Cloud model too and I basically live in it during the day. I've slept in it a few times as well, and it may just be a bit more comfortable than my actual bed. My cat and I have arguments (I usually lose) about who owns the most real estate on the foot rest part of it.

This is the one piece of equipment my extended medical insurance decided was not considered medically necessary even with two prescription scrips and a personal letter from my neurologist to the insurance company (they caved eventually)- and it is the one thing I don't think I could do without.

How far does it stand you up? I had a look on the website Karen mentioned and I did not see this brand but something called perfect sleep chair that had a video and it seemed like the person used their leg muscles a touch more than I expected to stand

We had lazyboy lift chairs for both my parents ( not zero gravity so not looking at them for myself). I think they landed pretty much standing as I don't remember lifting at all just" catching" and transferring. Of course it may have been a function of height as they were both short or maybe I just don't remember

Nikki- I have relatively short legs, so mine basically lifts me to complete standing. My 6' offspring with really long legs is lifted to about 3/4 of the way with the same chair.

What I have is called "The Perfect Sleep Chair" from the First Street catalog. I am 5'11" and would need another person or a Hoyer to help get me out of it if my quads were completely non-functional, even with the lift function. Might be easier for a shorter person. It's still much easier than getting out of a standard recliner.

Thanks to both of you. I am definitely not tall - just under 5'5" so I am sure the 6 plus inches would make a big difference. Wondering if it is enough. I just moved to a different bed that is a little high ( my old one was very low) and when I sit on the edge I pretty much slide into a standing position - hoping to replicate that in the chair

I fashioned a taller base, leaning a tad more forward, by cutting wood and placing it under the chair. Takes a little trial-and-error, but I managed to custom fit the chair to my PALS.

I just tried mine and I do have to use my thigh muscles a bit (Golden Cloud.)

Lift chairs are to provide assistance to stand, they were never designed to replace a hoyer type lift. So yes you need some muscles. I notice some do get to a better standing position than others, but we still need to think of them as a standing aide only.

Nikki I was able to get Chris out of bed without needing the hoyer for a long time by raising the hospital bed quite high and just kind of sliding him to a standing position :)

If it's possible, go to a retailer so you can try different models out. I went after my back started hurting a lot and I'm glad I did.

Good point from Kim and I will add, don't just sit for a minute then test the stand function. Sit in it for a while, make sure it really is comfortable once you kind of sink into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back