Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
VA
City
Orange
Mom has very little use of her hands and almost no fine motor hand use. Reaching behind her is very difficult to impossible. Added to that she has had a mastectomy and wears a bra to hold her prosthesis. We've tried pull-over bras and they are either too hard to get on or off, or won't hold the prosthesis.

Does anyone here know a good (front closure?) brassiere that we can look to that is easy to wear and will hold the prosthesis or act as a substitute? This is about weight balance and appearance more than anything.

Many thanks,

Catherine

Hello-

While I don't have a real brand recommendation, a zip front sports bra might be something to look at. There are many different types out there- from quite plain to some really fancy "are you sure this is a sports bra?" models. There are some that have underwire support as well, or space for an insert if that's required for a prosthesis.

Most of the usual suspects have at least one zip front bra in their sport lines and appear to be widely available in department stores and the big online retailer. I have worn a few different ones over the years- Jockey, Danskin, Victoria Secret and La Senza have been consistently comfortable. The last one I got, I actually modified the zipper with a larger pull as my fine motor skills aren't what they used to be.

Spanx makes a very comfortable Bra that has a front snap.

Me.......I stopped wearing a bra. Too uncomfortable for me. I wear a sleeveless tank top under my tops. If I go out and it's warm, I wear the bra but it comes off as soon as I get home.

Think twice about front closure bras. They are great while you can still hook or zip them yourself, but when someone has to dress you, they are horrible. They have to lift one arm at a time and if your arms or shoulders are tight, that can be painful. A back closure bra can be easily slipped up your arms with no pain and is much faster. It took exactly one time of my husband putting a front closure on me to have us both say "No way”.

Diane makes an excellent point, when I couldn't do a back close bra up anymore I got rid of them and changed to front closure, big mistake! 10 months later I can't do those up either and have carers as well as my husband trying to do them up. Uncomfortable embarrassing and sometimes painful so I am having to restock again!

I also found that underwired bras became very uncomfortable and restrictive as my trunk muscles waisted. I am now buying non wired bras with a full back size bigger, it's much more comfortable.

I tried the pull on ones but one of my shoulders is extremely clicky the struggle to get them on was painful.

The best option will depend on size and support level required, if I could have gone without wearing one I would have jumped at the chance.

Wendy

Catherine, on amazon.com there is a tee shirt like piece of apparel for busty women called the breastnest. It is like a tee shirt with a soft bra like top built in. More for at home wear for sure, and for larger women but it might just work for your mom. It is very soft and comfy, but if she is petite it might not work.

I switched to a front close, but my hands are bad and my husband usually clips , I got mine at kohls.

Thank you all for your great insights. I know this is a little thing but it has been such an irritant for her right now, even as we're trying to keep up with the changes and what ifs.

I think we're going to choose loose shirt except when she cares about the look then, thanks to your advice, stick with the back hook.

Many Thanks,
Catherine

Thanks Catherine.
Was wondering myself, as every time I put mine on, I'm reminded of my 1st bra. *shudder*. Lol.

Angie

I guess this thread just turned South. :grin:

I think bras make it harder to breathe but I've always hated tight clothing.

The worst part about my bras is that when my husband tries to help me take them off he bends the hooks which drives me nuts.

1971-1972. One of my earliest dates with my first girlfriend: We drove to Kansas City's Swope Park, which was so absolutely covered in snow I couldn't see the road or the grass. We parked, started kissing, etc, and I took a really long time fidgetting with her bra while kissing her. She got exasperated and said, "Can't you do two things at once?" Just as she unhooked her bra a policeman tapped on the window with his flashlight!

For the OP. Check out the wide variety of types of front closure bras at Front Fastening Bras and Front Closure Bras | Bare Necessities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back