Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
WA
City
Bellevue
My husband who has als, needs to wake up 2 to 3 times a night to urinate. This is making me very exhausted as his caretaker. Is this common?

It is not extremely common but some PALS do experience greater urgency. Does he go a lot each time or just a bit? Does he feel as if he is retaining urine when he does go? Does he have liquids just before bed? Varying diet/fluid schedules is a first move to try; if that fails, his doc can write a prescription that may help.

Feel free to start a new thread in the CALS section to introduce yourself.

Best,
Laurie

Do you get him up and take him to the toilet or would he use a urinal?
It won't stop you being woken, but may reduce the amount of disturbance for you.

One thing to be careful of is not letting him become dehydrated as some PALS will try to drink a lot less so they don't have to get up so often.

Making sure he gets lots of hydration through the morning and tapering it off in the late afternoon to evening may help him need to go less, if he is actually producing a fair amount each time.

Also it can be an early sign of breathing issues - where is his breathing at?
I say this because he may be sleeping lighter, and so waking a bit more and then is more aware of a need to urinate than if he was sleeping more deeply.

If you feel able to fill us in a bit more on where he is at with everything we can maybe help even more :)

The ideas above make sense to me... it may also be unrelated to als... prostate issues might be involved
might want to have a doctor check him out, especially his prostate

i dont think its a common issue with als

morning,

pat

Hi naezee.

My husband has exactly the same thing. Many nights he was waking me up to use the urinal 5 times a night. I was getting very little sleep. He only urinates twice the whole day but at night it is 3-5 times every night. He does have BPH (enlarged prostate) for which he takes medication but I don't know if this is what is causing this.

We started using condom catheters at night. They do sometimes fall off during the night but most nights they work and they have allowed us both to sleep much better.

Sharon

It's not common but I've had urge incontinence from 6 months into my symptoms..the neurologist said its something to do with the frontal lobe

But like the above advice I would check its not medical first, like infection prostate diabetes etc and try the other above advice

For me I'm absolutely busting to go out of nowhere every couple of hours and I can't always hold it. I've never felt that strong of an urge in my life. If it's not happening all day every day it's unlikely to be ALS related I would think. If it is by chance the medication does help to buy me some time to hold it and I can sleep through 7-8 hours .

Hope you figure it out and have a good nights sleep the both of you that is :)

I'm with twitchy.
Urgent every 2-3 hours while awake but sleep without issue.

I'm on oxybutininchloride for the urgency (aka spastic bladder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back