Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
CT
City
New London
My dad has been having a really hard time with mucus so the clinic got him a cough assist machine. We are having a hard time using it though. What's the best way to get the mucus up? Because we can't ever seem to get it up enough where it goes into his mouth and he can spit it out. We were told to do a couple seconds inhale and then flip quickly to exhale for a couple seconds. Should we just use it on exhale like a vacuum? Any advice would be great thanks!

Please move to the correct forums if this is the wrong one :)

Try increasing the inhale time or the pressure setting, very gradually. Also make sure he is hydrated before use and if he still can, suck on a pectin cough drop or drink/tube some pineapple juice or lemonade first. Also, of course, ensure adequate humidification in his environment overall. Some people here use the AlkaSeltzer products with success.

I have had trouble with the cough assist also, it works but doesnt pull much out... maybe some pressure adjustments will help, like Laurie stated, but small adjustments.

The suction machine works well. If u dont have one, get one.

take care,

pat

We had a real hard time using the cough assist machine in the beginning. We had trouble keeping a tight seal while flipping the switch. It is worth taking the time to practice and get comfortable with using, though. I use it every morning now, even though it doesn't seem like I needed, and not much is pulled out, but I can speak stronger and breathe more deeply after. Also, we do better with two people running the machine, one to hold the mask and one to flip the switch, if you happen to have two people available.

Question for Laurie, we have the inhale and exhale settings both at 35 now. Is this something that you just experiment with or is there some target value that works best? I've thought about increasing the exhale pressure to get a better result, but I have this horrible vision of my lung being sucked out.

Ours is at 35 for both as well which is the medium setting. It has one more lower and higher preset, haven't tried the higher one. Will try the pineapple juice, I was reading elsewhere on here that papaya juice may help too?

For most people getting the secretions out is harder than than breathing in to get things started per se, so that generally means that the exhale pressure should be "higher" than the inhale pressure, e.g. 10-20 more. So AZGirl, if things are good, no need to tinker, but I would drop your inhalation pressure as the first tinkering step, which should give you some direction.

So for example the "insufflation pressure" (a positive number) might be 10-20 with the "exsufflation" pressure more negative than the first pressure is positive, say that 35 that yours is at, and also for PALS it may work best when part lasts 2-3x longer than the inhale part. But the sound/productivity of the cough is your best guide.

So for some other people, they might not be getting enough out because they are not getting a good enough head of steam to start with (the hypothesis I was suggesting Vikman test), so if they feel that there just isn't enough mucus being accessed, they might want to try increasing the positive pressure first and either leaving the exhale as it is, or increasing that, too. But if that doesn't work, then you want to increase the exhalation only, because that is typically "higher."

With the CA, it is important to start slow (when trying to create the best settings, I'd start at 10 on both sides of the fence) and go up on one setting at a time.

Note: there is disagreement on this topic, so if you were given different advice, I can only say the proof is in the cough.

Thanks Laurie. Good advice as usual. I think we will decrease the inhale and increase the Exhale pressure and try that. It often takes several attempts to get the best cough.

Thanks for the advice, will try it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back