04/2016
Country
IL
State
AA
City
hadarom, israel
Dear all,
I am still in early months and i have limb onset with very weak arms and hands. I have a double bed and am reluctant to trade in for a single hospital bed in which i won't be able to freely roll over. But i am coming closer to being unable to raise my torso up to rise in the morning.
What equipment can you recommend?
I am thinking of a trapeze and bed rail but i am not sure that will those will really help. My family is not available at all times to lift me.
Thank u all in advance.
Betsy

Bed rail absolutely.

Yes,you'll eventually not be able to use it.

Betsy, the rail may help for a little while.

A benefit of the hospital bed is that you can also adjust the height of the bed. So you can raise your torso, then you can make the bed height the best height for you to stand up from (higher makes it easier to get out of).

You can buy regular bed with the function for raising the head too, but it would cost a lot if it only lasts you for a few months and then you need a hospital bed. You will also need to think about your caring needs as you will need family around all the time soon as it may become unsafe for you to get out of bed yourself.

Do you live with anyone? Are your family talking about stepping in to help on a more full time basis, or maybe you would have care staff come of a morning?

Tillie
thank you! i am now entitled to a free hospital bed but the govt will only get me a single bed, and i need a double to roll over (and also to accomodate cuddling...)
do u know of any PALS who has convinced govt or insurance that a double is a medical necessity for rolling over at this early-middle stage?

love and thanks
Betsy

Enjoy the rolling over. That too will go away as your legs worsen

Betsy, my husband is now in a hospital bed. I sleep in a twin bed right next to him. Both beds are on wheels so I can easily move them part to care for him, but when he's in bed they are together. He uses the rail to pull himself over and his leg ends up on my bed. Hey, a leg is better than nothing, I'll take it!!

hi, thanks for the idea about the two beds. but i need the whole width of the double bed to roll over. i lie on my back in the very middle, then can turn either way and sleep on my side.\ the rolling over seems essential to being comfortable for now. i realize that this will go away but for now my legs are still pretty strong--i ride a bike and use a treadmill 1 hour / day. so i hope i have some time left before my legs go. i have recruited my PT and doctor to try to convince the govt to give me a double hospital bed.\ we will see.

I didn't know you can get double hospital beds! I hope you can if they are available, keep us posted :)

one bed supplier among the several official suppliers approved by the govt told me that you can get a double hospital bed, special order, imported from germany, for roughly $4500. will update u when i learn more.
betsy

the german bed supplier is hermann bock. they have quite an amazing lineup of beds. they have a distributor here in israel so if u check u might find that they also have in the u.s.

Betsy,
While I sympathize with your desire to roll over, a double-wide hospital bed will make it much harder for anyone to reach/help/lift/transfer you later on. So I would stay with 38" or 36", whatever is standard where you are. Get the longest length (84") if you are tall and that will give your feet more purchase for rolling now. And you can learn to roll onto your side/back at that width.

Best,
Laurie

laurie i was forced to sleep in that regular width single hospital bed for six weeks when i was in hospital and rehab. it was torture. i could not roll over, even using the rails and trapeze, and i was stronger then than i am now. please explain how i can learn to roll over in such a bed.

Go for what works for you Betsy.

Slide sheets are so easy to use so if you are being hoisted later getting you to one side of the bed won't be that much issue.

It is harder on the carers back to be reaching across a bed, but your comfort is your right. If you can afford to get a wide bed now, even if you have to change to a single hospital bed once you can't move at all, so it is easier for carers, then get what works for your needs now.

I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like not to be able to roll over!

Well, if the problem is increasing weakness, railings and grips/handles next to the mattress (attached to the bed) are handy, as you can gain leverage to use your stronger legs. But as it increases, I don't see that width is going to be your answer for much longer.

Likely the hospital beds you were in didn't have top-flight mattresses or overlays, or did they? So you might not want to judge by those.

Ultimately, you will need family or other help and that will include an overlay that keeps your position changing, caregiver to roll you or learning to sleep in one position as my husband did (he was unrollable) on your back or side. The legs can go fast and I would hate for you to spend a lot of money on the double wide that could become obsolete quickly.

There is also a hospital bed that actually turns you over, that could be worth checking?
Zoohouse and JiminVA have talked about them and found them amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back