Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Fort Worth
Ok looking for the best tablet that will work with PAL. One that is easy to communicate with and use when hands are having issues. Maybe one that can handle being used for communication application too. LET US KNOW THE PROS AND CONS OF WHAT YOU HAVE FOUND AND PREFER, cost effective too please!
So get ready and GO......

Have a samsung s2. About 350 bucks. Tons of accessibility features. Palm swipe hand touch to change settings, vibration on touch, download google voice for voice commands, etc. No cons....hubby had a 12.2 in protab by samsung. It was too heavy when his hands were struggling.

Chumpy I believe your earlier post indicated your pals was bulbar. I'm assuming speech is greatly affected by now. Mine is completely gone. I tried to get approved for a Tobii/Dynavox but Medicare denied be because I still have partial use of my right hand. I have an iPad and downloaded an App called Verbally Premium. It allows you to store phrases in multiple categories, has multiple voices to pick from and has been pretty good for me. The App was $99. My iPad was around $300.

Vince

Chumpy, my PALS (BTW PALS is singular - person with ALS), had an iPad and Predictable.

The reason we chose predictable was that at the time it was the only text to speech for iPad that would support a switch.

Funnily enough, by the time Chris's hands were gone and we needed a switch the new IOS that had come out fully supported switches, so we could have used any other cheaper app. Still I like predictable for lots of it's functionality so that was fine.

With a switch (and tablets will work with them too) as long as you have a muscle you can move, you can operate the device. It works similar to eye gaze systems, except you touch the switch instead of blinking. So it could be a finger, hand, elbow, toe, knee, shoulder or head movement. They are very sensitive and need very little pressure.

So I would look at what kind of interface your PALS prefers to choose the actual tablet device, then try some of the apps for the one you prefer, and then add a switch when it is needed. Or start with a switch and get used to the way of navigating as it does take a lot of practice and patience, and getting the settings in a way that suits you.

Good points Tillie....also what the cognitive capacity is as well. Steve started out just fine but as he needed the tablet more, his ability to use it declined. He had about zero short term memory and couldnt relearn what to do.

Well Steph, you hit the nail on the head.

Chris did not have the cognitive ability at all.

I bought him the iPad very soon after diagnosis and the plan was he would learn to use predictable straight away. Get good at it, store up lots of phrases and stuff so that when he needed it, he would have already learned it.

He could not sit and concentrate on it even from that early point. He would make every excuse as to why it was too hard. I would encourage him that it is just practice - just work on it half an hour at a time every day ... every day he would be going to, but the weeks went by, his speech was rapidly going and he became less and less able to even try.

Once his hands went, he was so frustrated and we got the switch. I worked on that thing for so many hours. Setting it up, teaching him, helping him. But without the cognitive ability, he just couldn't work at it to learn it properly.

It was very sad - he wanted so much to communicate. The system was great, but yes it needed practice and patience. I became pretty good on it ...

He would insist that the only reason we couldn't understand him was that everyone else was just lazy and couldn't be bothered trying.

But I hadn't said this in my original post because so many PALS use many devices so well to communicate that I thought I would post it from my experience :lol:

Picture charts worked well for us because as his language ability declined it was easier for him than trying to spell or choose words.

Last year at the VA, they trained Steve on a simp,e voice recorder. They trained him 2 more times since then. At his assessment in February, they trained him afain. He just couldnt remember or follow the directions.

My I get A's was denied by Medicare because I can still speak. My hands don't work at all. It was very frustrating and tell I got a low teçh Head stylus. I use it with and iPad air that is mounted to my will chair Now I can use the iPad fully, and can use all the speech to text apps
image.jpg

Re: Best Tablet for PALS

Thank you all for your thoughts and experiences.
We've ordered an inexpensive tablet. Figured we'd try different apps and see how he feels and does. This way if he has issues with the easy ones we will know not to go overboard mad spend money on special things he may not even want or be able to use. I wish things would get a bit easier though. Everyday a new issue, never a moment to level out! PRAYERS FOR ALL!
Thanks Chumpy

New App available for the iPad. Cost is zero. Name is MiMic.

Tillie or anyone, do you have any information on "the switch". If this can be used with eye gaze it would be helpful for my wife. She has lost a lot of hand movement and is starting to try the eye gaze RFS system we have. A switch to help do the clicking rather than an eye blink would probably help her transition.
Thanks

I don't know about using a switch with eye gaze, but the interface could be connected to nearly anything.

If you search online for jelly bean switch you may find the answer or contact the manufacturer to find out?

If it does work with eye gaze and you find the combination helpful please do let us know!

I don't have any personal experience, but saw that smartstones is running a special on its TTS apps -- kind of a different approach with shaking, swiping and taps to voice, e-mail or text a limited phrase bank (on a phone or evidently their special stone that can be a necklace or whatever). They also have announced they will be launching an EEG headset.

Matadog, my husband (PALS) is using a foot switch with his Tobii Dynavox. Medicare doesn't cover a separate switch, at least in his case, but it's much easier for him than blinking or keeping his focus on the right place for a long time.

i am using LC Technologies Eyegaze Edge, i think all of the company reps can set up an external switch for any body part. if u can it is best to try a couple before u select a device. i got my device a couple months ago, i am happy with it, i have talked to oter pals that are happy with it also.

we tried a few devices at Hellen Hayes Hospital, then also had a few company reps demonstrate their devices at our house.

take care,

pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back