Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
Anyone else have hip pain while sleeping? I can only sleep on my side and whether I'm on my right or left side I wake up several times per night with hip pain. Would a pillow between my knees help?

Vince

Vince, I am experiencing the exact same thing. So far, I have yet to find a remedy. If I find one, I'll be sure to let you know.

I sleep with a pillow between my knees for that very reason. It works well. For me, a thinner pillow worked best- a larger one made me tip over on to my back too easily.

I quite like the boomerang pillow for along the back to stop that rolling back thing, and then a pillow between the knees.

Maybe a sciatic tendon stretching exercise before bed would help too?

I don't know how to describe it well in text but I'll give it a go.

Sit in a chair with your feet flat.
Bring one ankle up on your knee, keeping that knee centred (don't let it flop outwards).
With the leg that has the ankle up, drop the knee down as much as you can.
Put your hands on the arms of the chair. (kind of like as though you are going to use them to help push you to stand up)
Lean forward, chin towards that ankle and stretch as far forward as you can comfortably and you will feel the stretching. (it burns, but feels so good)
Hold for as long as you can, 10 - 15 seconds at least.

Repeat on the other side.

Repeat the stretch up to 3 times on each side if you can.

If you can manage this, it's a simple stretch but amazing. I've had hip pain for years and this is the best thing I've ever found, as well as the pillows. I get restless legs as well as hip pain if I don't do the stretches whenever my hips are playing up.

Hope it helps and makes sense!

It could be due to musccle loss and you are just more boney. I would suggest a mattress topper if you still have mobility. Our pt recommended a gel memory foam that helped immensely.

I have this exact thing as well my next mission is organising a air mattress or topper, but I do find stretching when it's actually hurting relieves it enough to sleep otherwise the ache continues . I also do the stretch tillie suggested and I find that also works well

Vince.....You probably have arthritis in your hips. It is very common in old peeps like yourself.

I sleep with a big round cylinder shaped pillow under my knees, it takes the pressure off my hips. Only issue is you have to sleep on your back, but if you are on bipap you have to anyway.

You will probably have to experiment with sizes and shapes of pillow. Cylinder shaped works best for me but I have heard that wedge shaped works for many.

Good Luck.....Hip pain can be a real pain in the ass!!!!!!

Only issue is you have to sleep on your back, but if you are on bipap you have to anyway.

From one arthritic hip to another... A pressure relief air mattress will help somewhat, but BiPAP doesn't mean you have to sleep on your back. It will require some adjustment of the mask when you turn but it works fine. And turning is good for your lungs!

From one arthritic hip to another... A pressure relief air mattress will help somewhat, but BiPAP doesn't mean you have to sleep on your back. It will require some adjustment of the mask when you turn but it works fine. And turning is good for your lungs!

I must be bipap challenged.....I have tried several mask styles, but can't keep a seal when I turn on either side. I wish I could because I have always been a side sleeper up to now.

Mark, you might check out the new Dreamwear mask. It fits under your nose and the tubing attaches to the top of your head and has a swivel attached. Specifically for side sleepers.

Vince

I too get sore hips. I can only sleep on my right side but can roll my hips, with the help of a bed cane, onto my stomach but my upper body stays on my side and that seems to take the pressure off my hips. Im gona try the pillow and see if that helps thanks

I have the exact same problem with my hip and side pain. I actually can only get about one 5-6 hour stretch at a time in my bed. I pretty much have my sleep broken up into 2 longish chunks of time. About 2:30-6 in the afternoon and about !:00-6 during the night.

I have a mask called Amara and it enables me to sleep on my side.

People think that there is no pain from ALS...but there certainly is residual pain from so many other factors that accompany the disease!
Audrey

I've had to sleep with a heating pad, shifting it to where the pain strikes.

I got this also, seems every time someone mentions something I got it or get it. I agree w/ mark a BIG pain in the a$$! I usually like to sleep with a 27 to 30 yr old between my legs but my cals says there's not enough room for these kinds of fantasies so I have to use the pillow too. This is fun right! Not! Love ya chally

Chally if I could laugh out loud I would have! Big smile though :):):):)

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back