Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
New York
City
northville
I am looking for information on a Apple based speech generated device. If anyone has anything please let me know. Colleen

LC Technologies has an eye gaze system for the MacBook. As covered in other threads, there are many AAC apps available for the iOS devices, as well as built in TTS capabilities on Macs, and Mac apps like Keystrokes/Proloquo (the latter is also available for iOS) that can be combined to use switches for speech generation. A head mouse (SmartNav), tongue mouse (Tetramouse) and switches of all types are Mac-compatible. For heavy text reading, apps like Voice Dream can read/display at the same time or separately using the user's visual/audio prefs.

If you can tell us what abilities your PALS has and what device(s) you need to generate speech for, we can be more helpful.

Best,
Laurie

My husband can speak right now but has no use of his hand and legs. He loves the IMac that we have and hated the dynovox he tried.
colleen cordone

Oh, well, why not use Dragon Dictate on the iMac, then, for now? Or is his voice failing?

To use a free voice interface, you can enable dictation in "Dictation and Speech" in the system prefs. If he ever wants to try a switch, that can be enabled in the Accessibility prefs. If/when he decides to use a switch or alternative mouse, he can use an app like Proloquo to generate speech on the Mac. They do offer a trial version.

Did that make sense?

Trying to generate speech from text or text from speech? I think Igelb covered dictation. As for text and other things to speech there is an old list of software and hardware at The ALS Association Greater San Diego Chapter. If you have an iPad you could try the free program MiMic at the Apple AppStore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back