Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Francisco
ALS patients’ one of common problems is toilet seat height for toileting when the symptom is progressing. It will be getting harder and harder to stand up after finishing toileting.
I installed a higher toilet. It is called, “Tall toilet”, 20” height from the floor. It has been helping a great deal.
Mike

Welcome, Naka. Just as an FYI for others, portable toilet risers that provide a higher seat above an existing fixture are also available.

Best,
Laurie

We started out by getting a high rise toilet. I don't know the actual height but it was a standard high rise model. Later on we added a Toilevator riser. The Toilevator goes between the toilet and the floor, requires minimal installation, and is far more sanitary and stable than a "booster seat" on top of the toilet. With the high rise and Toilevator, standing was much easier. I did bring a footstool in to support my legs. The ideal position for bowel movements is with the knees up in a somewhat squatting position, so add a footstool or a "Squatty Potty" (Google it) to your purchases!

Agree, you want a riser w/ a frame [and footstool], not a seat that sits right on top. Sorry if that was unclear.

We had a toilet riser thing that was like a booster. It simply went over the toilet and had handles on either side (if PALS can use their hands they would help with standing up). Very stable and it worked to allow Chris to continue using the toilet a long time until he needed to be on a commode and rolled over the toilet.

Mine is a handicapped toilet on a 7 inch platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back