05/2009
Country
US
State
ga
City
southern
hello,

i was hoping some one has found/made a cup holder that i can leave infront of my PALS so he can drink whenever he needs it. I cant find anything online and wanted to know if anyone else has found a solution to this problem.

you may need to describe his limitations and needs a bit more?

I made a drinking contraption for my husband but i don't know if that would work in your situation.

Many people use a long, bendy, thick straw. As Tillie says, the more we know the more helpful we can be.

Best,
Laurie

Indeed knowing more helps us. Many PALS use a bendy straw for a long time. My Chris lost all lip seal well before he even lost use of his hands, so he could not suck through any straw and we tried lots of them!

I use tervis cups with long bendy straws with Steve. He can kinda grip them and they have a top so when he drops them spills are less. They come with a lifetime guarantee

I have the DrinkAide ($48.50) which allows hands free drinking. The straw can be positioned anywhere near the users mouth. The price includes the mounting bracket for the wheelchair. I don't like the straw included with it-- it is too large in diameter and too stiff to get a good lip seal around it, but if you can find other straws that are long enough, it can be replaced. I use small gauge tubing bought by the foot from Lowes or similar store. I am not crazy about drinking from a plastic bottle, but it does provide a little insulation to keep a drink cold. Hot drinks are not recommended in it which is a big negative for me -- as is the plastic cup.

For use at my desk I have a modified homemade version of the DrinkAide. ftp://[email protected]/public_html/cupholder.jpg
cupholder.jpg
It begins with a suction pad cup holder. It prevents it from being tipped over, but unlike what you would expect for a typical suction cup, it releases easily by lifting a corner of the soft suction square. Your cup can be nearly any type or size, including thermal mugs. Excellent for hot drinks. Freedom Standard Non-Skid Suction Pad Cupholder :: no slip base $24.95
To make it hands free I added the same type of positional plastic gooseneck as the DrinkAide has. The Original Modular Hose System | Loc-Line You only need two lengths of the blue hose -- none of the orange connects-- but you will need the special pliers to connect the segments or adjust the length.
1/2" Hose Segment Pack - Pack of 2, product id 51801, $7.20
1/2" Hose Assembly Pliers, product id 78002, $11.85
I used simple brackets to attach it to the back of the cup holder. I put a long straw or plastic tubing in the cup and use a rubber band or tie wrap to hold it at the top of the goose neck. The gooseneck is light weight and completely flexibile so it can be positioned exactly where I can reach it.
Because the holder can be folded down flat it is portable even though the hose gooseneck has to remain attached. I am sure that a way to make that removable could be found, but knowing how forgetful we are, we would probably forget to take the cup, cupholder, or the gooseneck!
Another option is a Camel Bak drink holder, available many places. These are used by bicyclists, climbers and other who want hands free drinking. They can be mounted on the back of a chair with the tubing positioned near your mouth. The positioning is not as accurate as with the gooseneck so some neck strength is needed. They are excellent for people who have difficulty sucking liquids up a long staw because they are mounted high enough to make the water flow easier. A small bite tip keeps it from running until you bite the hose tip. I don't know if these are insulated or how easy if would be to clean, especially if you switch drinks.

We had to get creative as Darcey began to lose the use of her hands. We first began to use a cup by Aladdin that looked like an old Mason jar. It is insulated, made of plastic, has a screw on top, handle and comes with a straw. It works great for cold and hot drinks alike. And they wash up well. The come in different colors and sizes (we have 16 ounce ones)... and we found our at Walmart. Here's what one looks like...

insulated%20cup_zpsmjgfplgo.jpg

When Darcey could no longer hold onto the cup, I began to use a stretchy belt. These come in all sizes and colors. I have one that is long enough to go completely around Darcey. And because it stretches, it holds things quite well. I sometimes fold up a towel or bib and put it around the cup to hold it better... and particularly when using a coffee cup. So here's another pic to better illustrate...

Cup%20in%20use_zpsj95nd7iy.jpg

When using regular coffee cups, I also use a straw... and to keep the straw where Darcey can reach it, I use two rubber bands. Here's another picture to illustrate...

CUP_zpspmln1a7c.jpg

Anyway... I hope this gives you some more ideas on what you can do. Darcey loves it... as I can adjust the belt to hold most any cup to a position that is easy for her to find the straw. And for coffee, I just come back with the coffee pot in hand and pour to warm or refill. Please feel free to ask any questions if I did not explain myself well enough to get your imagination going...

Jim

thank you all so much! he has lost all movment in his arms and hands. we use a tervis with a long straw and try to prop it in his arm/shoulder with pillows. the problem is sometimes he cant get to the straw and if the cup gets moved (we have great "caretaker dogs" lol) then we risk spilling. He is usally in bed which is why i was looking for a way to maybe make one. everything i've found is for wheelchair mounted cup holders.

Another wild thought, then:

Attach mouse pad w/ clamp + articulating arm to bed railing or frame, attach cup to it w/ stretchy band/belt...

I'm having trouble visualising what you are suggesting Laurie, but it sounds fascinating. I must be having a blonde morning!

If you could rig a cup on some kind of holder arm, could you rig it so that he can pull it towards him with some string?

The drinking contraption I made for Chris was controlled by the one finger that still worked, but he only used it in a chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back