Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
AUS
State
Western Australia
City
By the beach
Not sure if this is strictly the best area, but I just wanted to share a bit on the cruise with disabilities.

So far only the right side of my body is affected. I don't use my right hand much (ever, if I'm honest). I wear an AFO. I can walk with a stick but not too far. Mainly due to fatigue. Then my hips ache and my foot drags.

I have a travel scooter that was marvellous.

Ok. The ship. Yes it is 'accessible' but still lots of struggles.

First off I didn't book an accessible stateroom. Not sure if it's because I really hate to admit I'm disabled or want to leave those rooms for those who really need them.

Next time I will book accessible. Getting into the bathroom was a pain as it was quite a step up. No grab rail near the loo. Also only one grab rail in the shower. Because of the sway of the ship Wayne had to stay with me when I showered. Dropping the soap happened frequently and I found it way too difficult on my own

There were no grab rails in the room either.

Getting out onto the balcony required assistance as it was a step over. I fell over one time but luckily onto the bed not over the side!

We had breakfast and lunch at the buffet every day. I found it hard to hold my plate and cutlery and get food. No way I could carry a drink. Once the crew realised my limitations they were extremely helpful.

We had tea in the dining room which was awesome. They realised I couldn't cut up my own food and brought it out cut ready to eat. Bit difficult navigating to tables wherever we ate however. Mainly because of the sway of the ship and there's not much room between tables.

I found the spas very hard to get into and out of so only attempted that once.

The decks were quite windy and could get a little slippery.

Navigating through busy areas was difficult, the shops mainly. Not a heck of a lot of room.

There's probably no kind way of saying this, probably the biggest problem was

Sorry gotta leave you hanging. Airport troubles.
Back soon.

Oh good Lord. I am physically and mentally exhausted. Sorry I mean EXHAUSTED.

Oh wow. Let me finish my first train of thought before I get to the second then my head can explode.

In my opinion the worst thing about a cruise when you are disabled is other passengers.

A lot were brilliant. But there were a few...

People would cut in front of me when on my scooter then stop suddenly.

I would be nearly through a narrow walkway and people would keep walking towards me and stop right in the middle of the narrow bit.

When I was walking with my stick the amount of people who would walk right next to the stick or cut in front.

I got lots of sighs and rolled eyes when getting in and out of lifts. A scooter takes up room I guess.

And the mountains of food might just disappear if I beat them to it.

Don't get me wrong, the majority were great and there was no way I was going to let a few ruin my holiday. I also will admit that a lot of it could be in my head as I'm very aware of people watching me walk.

Also tenders were extremely difficult particularly in rough weather. I would think twice about them in future.

Ok head exploding time.

I have my beloved travel scooter Dougie with me.

We have travelled many many times this past two years and only had trouble once, with Qantas.
We mainly travel Virgin.

Well it took them TWO HOURS to decide if Dougies battery could come home with us.

The security team was saying no. Virgin was agreeing with them.

I was trying not to cry. I felt like I was being discriminated against because I'm disabled. Wayne was not happy. That added to my angst to be honest as it was stressful enough with out having to calm him down as well.

All good now.

Anyway would I cruise again? You betcha. Loved it.

I think though I would do more research into shore excursions as getting on and off buses just did me in.

God bless, Janelle x

Thanks Janelle. This is really helpful.

We are thinking of an Alaskan cruise and this is good info...thanks
Doug

ps - love your scooter's name :)

We have just booked our next cruise, we managed to get a accessable room which is huge. We don't get off the ship if it involves being tendered to shore, we will get of if we dock at a port. We have found the staff to be wonderful and very helpful sometimes to helpful, you do need a little patience while waiting for a lift at busy times as it can be a struggle to get a scooter into it when it's over half full, I would recommend either going to meal time ten mins late so you don't have the lift crowding issue or go a bit earlier and wait to go in ( for fine dining not the cafertiria style dining). Some of the ships do have a chair that lowers into the water if you want a swim, it's not always out so you may need to add a pool attendant if they have one for you to use.
Love Gem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back