Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
I've been working with the Google Voice typing function in Google Docs and really getting the hang of it. It has helped me a lot to write things that are more than just a few words. In fact, I wrote this post using it. I just thought I'd share in case anybody else might be interested in an alternative to using hands for written communications.

Once you set up a Google account you have access to what is called Google Drive. Within Google Drive you can find Google Docs. To use the voice type function one needs to go to the drop-down menu for tools and go down and select Voice typing.

I should add that to move the text from the doc to someplace like facebook I do have to cut and paste. But, that is easy to do just a couple of keystrokes.

This is a link to a page that explains some of the technical aspects of using voice typing in Google Docs. I found it very helpful.

Great stuff :)

iPhones and iPads have speech to text and many apps on computers do too like Word.

I know Max used dragon speech for a long time too.

I use google voice and don't have any issues other than typing on my phone and google voice is not as bad about putting in the wrong words. lol.
On my list of things to do is research communication devises and tools to be ready when Steve needs it. Sometihng that does not cost a furtune.

i have been trying to get this new cell jane got me for this. still working on it

hey this is just what i needed to hear of course i have to learn or get daughter to help with this goggle voice and doc. thank much chally

I use Dragon speak as my ALS started in my dominant hand. I have a touchscreen Samsung desktop and I can still work the mouse with a brace on my forefinger, but I'm going to need a pointer soon. Good luck!
Hollister

Just to clarify this thread was started about information with regard to Google “voice typing” in Google Docs which is different than Google Voice. Google Voice is a VoIP phone service. I mention it because if someone were to search for Google Voice they would not find the dictation application.

As for Dragon, when I checked it out it seemed to be very iOS oriented. The way I came about finding the Google Docs voice typing was searching for a way to do dictation that could cross over too many platforms. Also, free is attractive. I personally left the Apple walled garden several years ago.

We live in android and samsung world. Steve has a tab pro. There are many features for accessibility on it. Text to speech, speech to text, vibrate on touch, palm swipe, font change, visual and sound alerts for messages...it really is an exploration thing. Steve used a stylus for awhile but the hand cramping and shaking makes it impossible now.

Gooseberry, That's great info. Thanks for sharing.
-Michael

Well, I'm learning new things about this every day. I wanted to send a joke with a little profanity in it to a friend of mine and realized Google won't spell it out. "F*** piss s*** c*** a****** d*******" :)

after seeing all those curse words I REALLY WANT to hear this joke! :)

Haha, they weren't all in the joke. It was just my example of the Google censorship.

On a completely different note today I was walking around the web searching for accessibility software and I stumbled across this website about Google developing accessibility for people with special needs. I haven't fully explored it yet but will in the coming days. It also gives me a little hope knowing that some of the big software companies out there are working to help.

Michael I was just given a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 from Telstra...hey, being disabled has to have it's perks...

People under 25 are insanely jealous. It's just a phone to me.

It's got all this accessible stuff on it, and a stylus (which I love Steph but I can see I'm headed in the same direction as Steve).

Thanks for this information. I'm going to check out my phone for this typing thing.

My one pet hate with Apple is the very frustrating autocorrect!

God bless, Janelle x

Janelle that is a sweet device and the source of much envy at my house by Julien.

I'm hearing you Steph. Connor (11) is forever asking 'can I borrow your phone, mum,'
I think he uses it more than me!
J xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back