Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
California
City
Long Beach
Has anyone taken one of these pocket dressing tools through airport security?

81Bxj1FiIPL._SY355_.jpg

Buttons and zippers are manageable much better with the tool, but can I take it with me on an airplane? Is there allowances for limited mobility PALS and others who lose hand dexterity and strength?

Recommendations or experience, anyone?

Thanks

The last time I went through security (one year ago) they made me break off the nail file part of my nail clippers or leave them in their little tray. My grandmother had her metal sock knitting needles confiscated as well. My 90yr old grandmother. High risk, I guess, because maybe she had nothing to lose and might hijack the plane to Sarnia, On to visit her newest great grandkid.
There may be allowances for folks with mobility issues, but I would check with the TSA before you head to the airport as they're pretty suspicious folk. That looks like a real dandy tool and I would hate to hear you ran into trouble with it and had to leave it behind at the security kiosk.

Is it possible to put it in your checked luggage? Then you'll have no problem. Sure it isn't cheap so you don't want it confiscated. FYI- hubby's wheelchair was searched with a fine tooth comb and when he died out of state, his cremated remains were thoroughly checked ( even though I had the death certificate!). Sad it has to be this way- but guess we all appreciate the extra vigilance.

Steve is made to.stand up, because he says he can, and hold onto a railing while they scan him and pat him down. His chair is scanned, the cushion separately, then both are wiped for residue of whatever. When we flew to Denver, they wanted me to dissassemble the trilogy. I told them you can't it is a unit other than the filter, power cord and battery. Well those all came out , the trilogy out of the travel bag, and wiped. My cpap was scanned in pieces. I think you want to put your handy tool in checked luggage.

Julien had his tablet removed from his backpack. Usually only laptops need to be removed. They scanned and wiped the tablet. It was crazy.

Just pack it in some gray silly putty with a timer to remind you to take your meds and I'm sure it'll be just fine...

j/k

Seriously though, call someone and also maybe look up ADA rights, etc... If you require it because of a disability they may have to let you have it. Also, FYI you can leave it there in their lost & found and retrieve on the return trip (or so I've heard).

Another thing to keep in mind as you travel, any of your medicines, medical equipment in a bag do not count as luggage. Obviously it's iffy to check it, in case it gets lost, but at least you don't have to pay for it! And you can hand carry it on the plane, even if you have another hand carry on. Restrictions do not apply to medical needs.

That is right Donna. We had to have meds in the original prescription container. So I had a bag of controlled substances, the trilogy, my cpap, my purse, and steve in his wheelchair. Julien had a bag and his backpack. Some woman on our way out told the stewardess we were over the limit for carryon bags. The stewardess came to check and realized it was all allowed for free.

Sometimes I think they can get a little over zealous. In my local airport, I have to take off my shoes and AFO to go through the machine. Which I'm not allowed to lean on. But without my AFO...
I must look like a real trouble maker!

God bless, Janelle x

Gotta love Lismore airport.

Their entire security system entails them asking if you have anything dangerous.

No xray machines, no scanners, zip.

Aaron who looks after check ins ALWAYS remembers my name. When I flew down to Sydney last week, it was the first time I had flown out of Lismore for like a couple of years. Yet as I approached the counter he was bright smiles and how are you this morning Katrina?

Quite different when coming home from Sydney as it's the full treatment of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back