Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Poquoson
Darcey received her Tobii late last year. She could not use it at first as they neglected to provide her with a mount for her wheelchair. Now she has a mount and has begun to use it. One of her greatest joys is being able to communicate with her friends on Facebook (FB). As she still comes into work with me each day, she can still use FB on her work computer. Her right arm and hand have just enough strength to reach out and move/click the mouse... which sits aside her wheelchair arm and on the desk. I place her wireless keyboard in her lap... where she has just barely enough movement to allow her to place a finger on the up or down arrow (to scroll through Facebook). Unfortunately she cannot type any more. This limits her to only being able to "Like" a post... but not respond.

The Tobii was going to fix all of that. It was to allow her the ability to use her eyes to type, move and again participate on FB. Unfortunately, that has not been the case. It doesn't show her all of the content that she sees on the work computer. Today, a good friend posted directly on her timeline... but she can't find that post on the Tobii. Pictures, videos and things shared don't show up.

I can't begin to express how much her ability to communicate and keep in touch through social media aids her in keeping emotions and attitude in a high and correct place. I would be elated to hear of other means and methods that might allow her a return to function with FB. It would be SO HUGE to her and to me.

Thanks!

Jim

>I would be elated to hear of other means and methods that might allow her a return to function with FB. It would be SO HUGE to her and to me.

there is a low-cost tobii that mounts on your monitor -- i have one on my 30" monitor -- same tobii sw ....

You know, Max... I may happen to have what you are talking about. It is the Tobii EyeGaze. Unfortunately, I've not yet been able to get it to be seen by the system. Perhaps I need to push harder in this direction. Thanks for your response. I know how much effort it takes... and that makes it all the more appreciated.

Jim

Jim,

I know there are state agencies that are federally funded that can help you. I visited ours and they walked me through the whole deal and said they will help when I get my eye gaze system if I only get the peripheral instead of the whole system (which Tobii would set up and support).

In AZ it is called AZTAP and was funded by Assistive Technology Act, AzTAP is funded by the US Department of Education, Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) under the State Grant for Assistive Technology Program (SGAT – CFDA # 84.224A). You may want to look to see what VA has.

Good luck,
Doug

>It is the Tobii EyeGaze. Unfortunately, I've not yet been able to get it to be seen by the system. Perhaps I need to push harder in this direction.

contact tobii -- i'll bet they will do set up for you for free :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back