Diagnosis
11/2013
Country
US
State
TX
City
Los Fresnos
I thought of something like this. I'm glad someone has developed it.

-------------

People With Disabilities Can Easily Find Accessible Spots With This App

Inspired by his own experiences, a filmmaker has created an app to help people with disabilities.

Jason Da Silva was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, a disease that affects the central nervous system, in 2006, and uses a motorized scooter to get around, according to Mashable. As a filmmaker based in New York City, he quickly discovered that it wasn't so easy for people with disabilities to maneuver around the city.

"It was very frustrating," Da Silva told Mashable back in 2013. "I was finding that the freedoms that I had -- just simple things like meeting up with friends and things, it was becoming more and more difficult."

With these challenges in mind, Da Silva created the AXS Map, a crowdsourced mobile app and website powered by Google Maps, that allows people with disabilities to find accessible spots. Users rate and review the wheelchair accessibility of restaurants, stores, hotels and other places.

(Read more: People With Disabilities Can Easily Find Accessible Spots With This App)

This is great! Since it's new, there's nothing rated in our area, so I just submitted my first review!

As a former restaurant reviewer I am very pleased that I could get the major publications in town to add wheelchair accessible to all of their reviews. I can't be the only foodie in Richmond in a wheelchair. Independent of my being able to actually get into the restaurant is the parking problem in an old city. But I guess we just all keep chugging along.
Hollister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back