Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
This is what we did as there was no funding for us to remodel the bathroom.

The portable shower was designed here locally by one of the guys at the home modifications service as a result of bathroom remodelling not always being possible (for short term needs and those renting eg).

Here are 2 pics.
Firstly the bathroom. I would just put the showerbase in the bathtub to dry off after use. That shower curtain above the bath would pull across to keep the vanity (just going out of view on the left) from being wet. You can see the floor drain beside the bath. A little set of drawers on wheels was great as I had all the stuff for Chris personal care in the drawers and it could be easily moved around the house. You can just see the tiled edge of the shower on the right edge of the photo. I had a longer hose put on the shower head, so once the base went in place on the floor it was easy to stand about where I was to take this photo and shower him.

Second pic is the shower base on the floor. The raised sides are filled with foam. I would just put a foot on the edge and the shower chair would wheel over it easily and it would spring back. Remove the grate from the floor drain and put the showerbase drain into it.

Last pic is a bit obvious but just shows how the shower curtain would come across and section the room off keep water splash to nearly zero.

I know that anyone who can work with canvas or industrial sewing can make something like this for a reasonable price.

I actually used these photos for the book I had for the home care workers instructions. I found it really helped them if I used photos for lots of things. So the instruction page showed how the bathroom should look again when finished, how the base should look down etc...

Attachments

• bathroom-setup.jpg
    bathroom-setup.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 920
  • showerbase.jpg
    showerbase.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 437
  • showercurtain.jpg
    showercurtain.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 489
That is really neat! Unfortunately, my master bathroom is very narrow. I also don't have a drain anywhere on the floor (was on my hands and knees checking last night lol) for water. Soooo....that's not gonna work for us. I was seriously contemplating just going in there with a hammer and start thrashing the crap out of the shower and then calling my landlord and saying something to the effect of "I was at the store and came home to this? Guess we need a new WALK IN SHOWER THAT CAN ACCOMMODATE A GIGANTIC FREAKING WHEELCHAIR "

Thank you so much for all your help Tillie, and not just with this. You've been really helpful to me since I started on the forum las month.
Megan

Do you have a floor drain in the laundry?

I doubt the landlord would be impressed ... but it did make me laugh picturing it!

I'm amazed actually that they have stopped putting floor drains in wet rooms, they used to be standard but seem rare now. I have one in the toilet and laundry as well.

You are so welcome for any help I can try and give :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back