Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
CA
City
Suburban
I did a search here for PALS's assistive voice technology and found lots of helpful info. Now looking at Proloquo4Text and wondering if anyone has any experience with that app they'd be willing to share. It's way too late for voice banking, so the fact it lacks that capability is not an issue. He'll be running it on his ipad air and iphone, with eventual switch technology on the ipad.

(And many thanks, LoveMyKids, for that link to assistive tech for apple you provided!)

No answers, and we didn't use that app.

What I thought I would say is that we used predictable. It's a good app, good features, but it's more expensive.

I chose it because at the time (mid 2013) it was one of the very few iPad apps that was switch compatible. I knew Chris would end up needing a switch so bought it to be a step ahead.

The laugh was on me because by the time Chris needed the switch the new IOS had come out that included switch compatibility. So now the entire iPad is switch compatible.

In fact, I couldn't get predictable working at first until I realised I had to turn off all the settings for the switch in it because it was conflicting with the IOS. So we used it without the switch settings it came with and the IOS took over and it worked fine. LOL

So can you get a trial version or is it free? If yes to either I would say download it and have a play with it and see what you think.

My wife uses it with ipad air and likes it--- great for preprogramming questions for the doctor. there are many free ones that work well also.Word prediction is very good on Proloque. She has had it for 6 months and in last week the keyboard on its own switches to spanish--do not know if problem is program or ipad. She can still type and does not use switch.

Thanks, Tillie and Jeffreyp. It didn't seem terribly expensive ($99) for all it offers and I think the pick of voices (including the Yoda-like and "bad-guy") helped the decision along. My PALS is a big joker, so I won't even tell you the first phrase he preprogrammed after he downloaded the app! ;)

Jeffreyp, did your wife have any training or watch any of the training videos on-line?

Oh, come on 4tlomi- you can't put out a teaser like that and not tell us what his first phrase was! We need the laugh!

Don't want to give you the wrong idea--he's a really nice guy. But he and the guys are always kidding around, so his first phrase was "f*** you" which he can say in a wide variety of voices and expressions on Proloquo4Text, even adjusting for the speed it's spoken. Lots to play with.

I think this speech app is ending up a good one for his playful nature. He's never gotten serious about anything unless he's absolutely had to. That sense of humor is probably what's kept us together more than 30 years! ;)

The Als clinic at Johns Hopkins just brought a IPAD to the house for my husband (Randy) ,it was from the loan closet
and it came with the Proloquo4Text and the speakit apps already downloaded into it.We are very lucky they even
sent someone out to show him how it worked,he likes it and so do I as he is not able to be understood anymore
but first time he used it I bawled like a baby, hearing the machine talking for him was hard.

I watched 2 videos on line--neither were very good because you could not hear the app.I did get enough to show her how to program questions--we were married last august and she use it for her vows. Your husband will like this--- we have a small bluetooth wireless speaker for i Pad--- when grandkids are over and playing in another room, she hides the speaker by them and then says --I saw that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back