Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Virginia Beach
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago and tried to use a CPAP for nearly six months but finally gave up. I'm a very light sleeper and went from poor sleep to none at all. Now I'm diagnosed with bulbar ALS. What is the difference between CPAP and BiPAP?

As I understand it, one difference is that cpap has one pressure setting so pressure is constant. The bipap has two, one for inhaling and a lower setting for exhale. If your respiratory is compromised by ALS there is a very good chance you won't be able to exhale against the higher pressures of a cpap

My pulmonologist said since my lungs are good/have had my lung function twice and my blood gasses checked and I do have sleep apnea so for now I use a cpap but when my lung function goes down he will switch me to a bipap

I would disagree and say that no PALS should be on cpap at all.

Your doctor may be a pulmonologist but I wonder if he knows about ALS?

I would disagree and say that no PALS should be on cpap at all.

Your doctor may be a pulmonologist but I wonder if he knows about ALS?

Tillie

Please explain your statement? I have been on Cpap for 6 years, my clinic docs all know this. It has never been suggested that I disco the Cpap, and as long as my FVC stays above the critical point...I might have to change to Bipap.

BigM: here is one discussion, excerpt:
A CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine is not indicated in ALS. CPAP increases the work of breathing by forcing the user to exhale against resistance. This can be dangerous for those with ALS.

A BiPAP machine, on the other hand, is often prescribed in ALS. BiPAP (the trademark name of a machine distributed by Respironics) is short for bilevel positive airway pressure and delivers air at two pressures, one for inspiration and one for expiration (inhalation and exhalation). A number of nasal or face masks and attachments are available, and can be customized for the best fit.​

Thanks Greg, for the link. The newer cpap units offer varying resistance levels for exhaling. Mine is set for no resistance, when I exhale it is unrestricted. But it does not offer the double blast of air.
I am having a c02 test, and a sleep study done in a few weeks, so I could be using bipap soon.

C=constant [pressure] though some machines give you up to 3cm of "pressure relief" [that's not enough in ALS]
B=bi [one pressure to breathe in, lower one to breathe out since your breathing muscles will get weaker]
So you need a BiPAP. With a backup rate and volume support. See the equipment sticky. Also, don't forget that you can search the database of posts (top menu above) for terms like CPAP and BiPAP.
With the right mask (I recommend the Circadiance nasal to start with, with return insurance), the right settings and the right machine, you will adapt though you had a false start w/ CPAP. The BiPAP is one of the few interventions in ALS that will extend both your quantity and quality of life.

All of this is still a novelty to me. Is BiPap something you use at night or all the time or what exactly?

Sun, it can be used both day, night or all the time. Currently I only use mine at night but as my breathing declines it can also be used during the day. I use full face mask at night. Will probably use nasal pillows for day time when I need it

Listen to Laurie; she knows this business. Too many pulmons don't understand ALS. I'm on the bipap whenever I lie in bed. If the bipap creates so much pressure it makes you uncomfortable, it is adjusted wrong.

my husband just got on a trilogy. don't ask me what the difference is--it has been explained but I still don't know. suppose to be better than the bipap. he is using it at night only--took about 3 weeks to be able to sleep all night with it on. he says he has more energy and feels more rested now.

Sunny--when you start using one, don't try it at night at first--start with daytime while watching tv or on the computer so your mind is occupied. it takes some getting use to ! then at night, use it until you can't and take it off and don't fret about it, just stick with it. a little every day will get you up to it.

The trilogy works off a volume of air being delivered whereas the bipap/cpap works off a pressure being delivered

> a sleep study done in a few weeks

see if you can get a picture after you are wired up :)

sorry Mark, but thankfully your question to me was answered perfectly, I kind of missed somehow getting back to this thread!

If you are doing well on cpap, you will do even better on bipap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back