Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
FI
State
Southern Finland
City
Espoo
I was given the device last summer but have only been concentrating on it now after the pneumonia, as I suddenly became unable to breathe on my own.

The settings were: EPAP 6, IPAP 9, which seems to give quite small delta p. I tried increasing IPAP to 10 and it helped to a certain degree, but I am still having occasional difficulties getting air out of my lungs.

I know I should consult the pulmo on this but the appt is still several days away and I am really having hard time breathing. Just wondering if anyone else has such a high EPAP setting?

My PALS is at 12/4 (IPAP/EPAP). We just lowered Breaths/Min from 10 to 8 and increased duration from 1.5 secs to 2.0 secs (as she felt she was fighting the machine when trying to breath). I hope you find settings that work for you...

Jim

What is the cycle sensitivity setting? If you have problems breathing out, try setting it higher.
Check your minimum inspiration time and see if lowering it helps. Not knowing your typical RR, I can't recommend but you might start at 1.1 sec. and then check your volumes. If it is too high, you can air trap which impedes exhalation.
Yes, a PS of 3 is prob too low. I would start w/ an EPAP of 4 if you have no pre-existing obstructive apnea and PS of no less than 4, so start w/ IPAP of 8/EPAP 4, optimize the settings above and go from there.
Of course, looking at the actual data will show you your tidal volume/minute ventilation, actual RR, etc. If vols are near your target, you don't have to worry about a higher PS as much. RR w/w/o BiPAP ideally will not differ too much.

Thanks,

11/5 seems to make breathing a lot easier so I'll probably leave it there for time being.

The bipap was running, but not forcing air last night when I got it bed. Wifey admitted that her Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Chewbaca, got hold of my bipap tube yesterday. She quickly chewed a hole in it. We found a replacement tube and went to bed. That's when I discovered the old tube had a pre-existing hole from Chewbaca; the pressure is now higher. It's taking some getting used to...

She earned her name by chewing everything: my hearing aids, several keyboards and mice, my PEG tube (twice), cables, furniture, etc. . She is so subtle and quick, with a razor sharp beak. She stops chewing on power cords when she gets shocked.

We took her back to the bird store to sell a few months ago, but our African Grey parrot missed her. They are loosely bonded. Greybeard has also bonded to wifey, and sees me as his rival. He has learned all his words from me, in my exact voice, so now he sounds more like the pre-ALS me than I do now.

Back to bipap.
GB

Graybeard, sorry for laughing but envisioning this cockatoo racing around the house chewing everything not covered, and then the African grey parrot mimicking you and fighting for your wife's attention sounds like a scene out of a slapstick movie! These birds HAVE to be keeping you entertained !, donna

Grey beard love the story!

>She stops chewing on power cords when she gets shocked.

lol!

See, great entertainment on this site and it didnt come from Bigmark!

Oh, and we keep the tv remote suspended from the ceiling on a long spring.

Parrotinitis

Graybeard you could voice bank using the bird!

I'm so glad you are bonded to wifey ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back