11/2013
Country
US
State
TX
City
Los Fresnos
Hi, I'm new here to the forum and the friend/caretaker of "Patti-PALS."

We're getting a Permobile soon, as well as a van. We plan to do some cross-country travel afterward. But we worry about one thing: How do we transport Patti if the van breaks down once she's confined to the Permobile? That is, if we have to get the van towed, where does Patti go? Do we have to call an ambulance? Can she ride in the van if it's towed by a flatbead tow truck?

Patti really wants to see more of the country and enjoy her time, but we're worried about getting trapped somewhere, especially if the weather is too hot or cold.

Surely folks have figured this out already! What's the solution?

Thanks!

Great question.
I wouldn't count on riding in the van while it's being hauled or towed.
A brand new van shouldn't break down.
I think you'd have to call for the "wheelchair taxi" wherever you are.
An ambulance wouldn't be able to transport the wheelchair, I don't think. Plus, they are amazingly expensive.

Ooh, wheelchair taxi. I didn't think of that. Actually, I didn't know they existed. ... I wonder if that'll be possible in more remote areas of the country? Maybe I'd better research that for each place we go.

Calvin, the ALSA should be a good resource to start

We had this happen.The van died about 20 miles out of a town where we knew no one. Our roadside assistance through our auto insurance was fantastic. We called them and explained our problem and how it was complicated by me being in a power chair-- and that the wheelchair had broken down the day before as well! They made all the phone calls necessary to get a tow truck and a wheelchair transport company willing to drive that far, and located the best place to have our Sprinter worked on. Getting me out of the van with the lift landing on the steep slope of the ditch was a challenge with no wheelchair power but the transport driver and the tow truck guy made it possible. The transport driver took us to the repair shop and assured us that if the van wouldn't be fixed yet that day they would come back and take us to a motel. The van was fixed in about four hours and we were off again. So, my advice is to get a roadside assistance policy that covers the whole country. You may not get as lucky with the roadside assistance guy as we did but it is essential.

I always carry a transport chair just in case. My power chair can towed with the van. As long as it's locked down.

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice! I've taken a bit from everyone. First off, I have AAA, so I'll check with them to see if they have provision for a situation like this. Then with AAA or not, I'll get numbers of wheelchair taxis in areas we travel (if they exist in those places) and take the transport chair just in case we have to adapt. ... My mind is very much more at ease.

We just came back from a two-week trip seeing 20 national parks and monuments. Once Patti has a permobile and van, and once she stops working, we want to take a few months on the road to visit the same parks and new ones. But this time we want to take our time, really smell the roses.

And I'll talk to the ALSA as well.

We broke down about 100 miles from home last winter in a nearly new Chrysler Braun Entervan. The alternator failed. I called AAA for assistance and they sent a tow truck. I too worried about how I could possibly be moved into the seat of the tow truck. Turned out it was not a problem. The van was hauled up onto the bed of the truck and we rode in our seats. It was a bit nerve racking but a great view. We actually looked down into the cabs of transport trucks. Of course it is a true tow truck this wouldn't work but you might explain what you need when you call AAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back