Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Poquoson
My wife PALS was no longer able to support herself and began to require help to transfer her from one location/device to another. My initial solution was to simply “bear hug” her during transfer. And while this initially fulfilled some kind of “manly” thing in me, the multitude of daily transfers soon began to take their toll on my back. “Manly” began to give way to “discomfort” and “dread”.

Enter the Patient Lift…

On the surface, this seemed like an absolutely wonderful device. But too soon I began to realize that the lift is only as good as the sling that accompanies it. Our first three slings (each provided free of charge) had us wondering if we’d ever grow to even remotely appreciate the use of the patient lift for transfers… and particularly for the multitude of daily PWC <=>Toilet/Commode transfers.

So I began to search out and become familiar with all of the different types slings and the various manufacturers. I read descriptions… looked at pictures… and watched related videos. And then I found it… what appeared to be the perfect sling… but it was over $600.00. For us, that’s a fair chunk of change to be gambling on. But anything that made our transfers safer, more comfortable and easy for either of us... would be priceless. So we placed the order.

We’ve used this sling for two weeks now and have completed well over a hundred transfers. With each use, I continue to smile (even giggle) at how easy and wonderful it is to use. It goes on and off with ease, it is comfortable and secure feeling and one’s bottom can be easily bared (and later covered) while hanging from the lift. Honestly… I cannot imagine a single feature that would make this sling any easier to use.

If you’d like to talk particulars on use, please ask. If you need help on locating information, videos, etc… let me know and I’ll point you accordingly. If you are in the market for a sling… or simply would love to find something worthy of replacing that which you already have… I can honestly say “I think you’ll love the Liko HygieneVest HighBack (Model 55)!”

Jim

There is so little to get excited about with this disease that I'd hate to think that one can't post about those things found to be exceptional. I guess I'll need to go looking for the forum rules to see if I'm going to be able to abide by them. Regardless... thanks, Max! I appreciate you adding it to your FB page. This sling has been a HUGE help for us... and I hope that being aware and able to consider it will be a help to someone else.

Jim

Jim, you are absolutely right. A lift is only as good as the sling you have. There are less expensive hygiene sling brands. When shopping don't confuse a commode sling with a hygiene sling. A commode sling has a hole under your bottom for going to the bathroom. It can't be put under you or removed without being put back on the bed and turned side to side. A hygiene sling has a split open bottom for going to the bathroom. Your weight is on your thighs, not your bottom, similar to sitting on an old fashioned swing. Because it is open, the sling can be put on or removed while sitting up in a chair, wheelchair, or lying in bed. Because it isn't under your bottom it doesn't interfere with the effects of a pressure relief cushion and can be left in place all day if preferred. These slings are available with a high back headrest that is very helpful for those with neck weakness. Don't expect to have a sling work well the first time you try it. You have to experiment with the strap lengths and the position of the straps under the thighs to get the most comfortable position. Sitting up as straight as comfortable is best for bathroom use.

Now take the next step and get your wife slacks that she can wear and still use the sling when toileting. There is no image booster and mood elevator like wearing normal looking clothing rather than hospital gowns and night gowns! See this section of my website for info on adapting slacks, shorts, and jeans:
Toilet Troubles

Diane,

YOU are the reason I researched Liko in the first place. What an honor and privilege to meet you. My wife first read your article on clothing adjustments and forwarded the link to me. I continued to read and found your pointers related to the slings of particular interest. I had to special order the particular Liko I mention in my post... and as expressed, above, my wife and I both have been so pleased with how easy transferring has become. Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!

Jim

Jim,

Sorry to have to meet you on this forum. I was Dx in Feb. of this year. Some of my favorite times were at the Chesapeake Bay in Poquoson. we used to dig for clams and we had some really fun clam bakes. I went to college just up the road. Are you or your wife former military? Been to that base many times as well.

Thanks for the info on the sling. I am just getting a handle on some of the things associated with this disease. My legs are going fast so a sling is going to be a top priority as is a new PWC and lift. Sad thing with this disease is that you have to be so proactive that it is hard to grieve properly. I am a pretty business first kind of guy but having to make end of life decisions while trying to enhance/stabilize life can get challenging. (voice banking, life insurance, transportation, lifts, transferring, etc).

This is a great forum - I have trolled a lot and commented a few times. This sling looks like it will help my lovely, and small, wife help move my 250# body easier. Thanks again.

Doug

Greetings, Doug!

Glad to meet, but sorry for the circumstance. And yes... it was the Navy that first brought me to this area back in `75.

I understand the difficulty with trying to stay ahead of a curve that is different in timing, severity and target from one person to the next. During our first year, due to a misdiagnosis, all of our decisions were made on the assumption that my wife was going to recover and get better. It made it more difficult when those decisions were proven to be ill-placed when her symptoms continued to progress. Since being diagnosed with ALS, we finally have a somewhat better understanding of where we're going with this. For what it is worth, a certain kind of peace came from finally knowing exactly what we're dealing with. We now tackle each new day as the very best that we have... and seek to find those many things to smile at, laugh with and be grateful for. We are about to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary in September... and I don't think we've ever been closer. And that is one of the most precious of gifts this nasty disease has granted us.

We still both LOVE this sling. My PALS, Darcey, has difficulty leaning forward in her PWC. So I position myself in front of her and pull her into me. The gap between her back and the chair are where the sling drops in. The waist piece is thick, padded and keeps its form. As such it only need to be easily pushed to the lower part of her back before she leans back (others required placement below the buttocks to be secure... and needed more effort in positioning). I then lift up each leg, one at a time, and slide the corduroy padded side of the split leg portion under each leg. Arms then go through a strap that holds the upper head section in place, two waist straps are quickly fastened and it is ready to connect to the patient lift. For the most part, she feels comfortable and secure. And the fact that the whole process only takes a couple of minutes is appreciated by both of us.

We also use this for transfer in and out of bed. It works great for lining her up on the bed, on her back, to start the night. And in the morning, when time to lift her back out of bed, it is also relatively easy. With my PALS lying on her back, I lift her upper torso by placing my hands behind her shoulders and pulling her up and forward to a sitting-up position. While holding her up with one hand (she'd fall back down if I let her go), I use the other to place the sling into the small of her back. I then lower her back down, position the leg straps, move her arms through the side straps and connect the two waist straps. We're then good to go.

We have a portable Hoyer that we take back and forth from home to work... and I inadvertently left the Liko sling at work. So, back home, we had to use the previous sling. Obviously, we made it work... but I bet I never forget the Liko sling again. I suspect that there are other brands that may be equally as good as the one we got... I'm simply unaware of them. I would get this one again, regardless.

Look forward to talking to you more, Doug. Holler at me if I can be of help or simply to chat.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back