US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
Dalvin's Door Gadget :)

Dalvin Scarberry
3 hrs
An idea I came up with to make it easier to close doors behind me. The rope is long enough that I can drive out without the door hitting my wheelchair, the dowel rod makes it easier to hold as you don't need a strong grip, just let it sit in your hands with fingers curled. Hoping this will help others. Also makes it safer as I'm never off balance trying to lean forward to pull the door shut. Have a similar one on the inside, just not as long

Attachments

• DalvinDoorGadget1.jpg
    DalvinDoorGadget1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 194
  • DalvinDoorGadget2.jpg
    DalvinDoorGadget2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 196
looks like that will work for some who have lost the use of their arms as long as you dont have to turn the knob. thanks adozi. by putting an identical one on the other side I'm able to swing the door open and closed from the inside as well. of course it does require use of the hands to turn the door knob. dreading the day I lose that

>of course it does require use of the hands to turn the door knob. dreading the day I lose that

we got lever covers for the door knobs ...

Actually, it's so you don't have to use your arms at all. The power chair does all the work and i think the cord turns the handle as it stretches. I'll have to watch more closely. I'm going to try Max's Youtube trick again. Got it wrong last time..http://youtu.be/Sb4bJVNN72E

I
am trying to make one now ...
s

a new mini keyboard ...

Attachments

• minikeyboard.png
    minikeyboard.png
    4 MB · Views: 187
Wouldn't that be harder to use than a larger keyboard?

>Wouldn't that be harder to use than a larger keyboard?

-----
not with two fingers :)

I was rather proud of this little invention - I worked it out, Chris refined some details and step FIL did the putting together

I've still got it in the garage, can't part with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N92s34RzoVs

Last edited by a moderator:
oh I tried to embed a you tube but I musta done it wrong, went to mod ... wait for it, one of my inventions :)

Tillie,

I just pulled your link out of the post (//www.youtube.com/embed/N92s34RzoVs?rel=0) and just went there manually. What an inventive mind. I watched it multiple times just to get that smile and joyful laugh at the end. Well done! :)

Jim

thanks Jim I still cry every time I watch it and he gives that laugh

It did give him the ability to have sips of coffee up until his last days without it being held for him as he retained the use of that one index finger. We had to make some minor changes to it as lost the use of that arm. That video was January 2014, he gained his wings in April.

Max tell me again how I embed the you tube please please can't believe I've forgotten!

>Max tell me again how I embed the you tube please please can't believe I've forgotten!

the trick is to gett the link from the YouTube share ... see pic below .. right-click, copy, and paste into forum msg ...

http://youtu.be/V2sKH8yjVsM

Attachments

• YouTubeTrick.JPG
    YouTubeTrick.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 154
Thanks Max, other places I do you tube I do share, then choose embed ... that was my mistake ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back