Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
I have lost the left arm & hand (mostly) and can no longer pull up my shorts or sweat pants even though they are not that tight.

It's crazy, but I have problems going to work because if I go to the loo, I am stuck with the shirt out in back and my pants 1/2 off. Hardly a good reason for disability, I hope. When I'm home & Sandy's here she picks up the slack (pun intended).

Anybody figured out a solution for this one? Other than hiring an intern to shadow me :).

TIA,

Max

When you get an answer please post it. I have the same problem. UGH!

Rick

If the have someone put clothespins on both ends of a strong string you can have them attached to your pants before you lower them, and then help you pull them up. (My SIL is an Occupational Therapist and she did this for my stepDad)

I copied this tip from an old post by our dear departed Helen. I miss her so much!

>If the have someone put clothespins on both ends of a strong string you can have them attached to your pants before you lower them, and then help you pull them up.

OK! I will get a couple of those metal binder clips, attach a light cord, get it over my shoulder, and pull 'em up. If thatt works, all that's left is getting the shirt back in in back ...

I just wear polo shirts and rugby jerseys. They hang down so if I can't get them up "all the way" no one is the wiser. Of course I do NOT poo outside my home. This has worked well with the zipper issue.

>... Of course I do NOT poo outside my home ...

:) well Sandy now drives me in,, so I really am stuck. You would think that no food = nothing out :) -- not for me, I have always been fulll of it!

Max

Once you are a full time wheelchair jockey, the solution is simple. Wear open back pants. They can be made from dress pants, jeans, casual wear or sweats. Wearing them means no more pulling your pants down and back up again. Just transfer to the toilet and back again. Unless you are intending to stand up in public and moon bystanders, no one will know your pants have been altered.
ALS: From Both Sides

I suggest you see if you have any Cetlic blood and wear a kilt, problem solved.

How about clip on suspenders Max? Although I would love to read about your adventures in a kilt!
Hugs
Linda

It just occurred to me that suspenders might work. I am going to try them what do you all think?

Rick

I found that once I got my arms through, they were great :)

For the shirt, the state police use a garter system that attaches to the shirt tail and pulls it down, that's why their shirts are always looking tucked in and neat when they get out of their cars. You could probably get them at a police supply store.

i have the same damn problem and compounded by not being able to lift my right leg except for a few inches. at night i keep tomorrow's clothes in the kitchen where there are plenty of counters and chairs to grab on to. my wife says she is waiting for the day when she gets to dress me but that is a lie and i love her for it.

I tell my husband he is my own real life Ken doll, and if he doesn't behave I will dress him in something goofy. I really don't mind dressing him, and we have lots of laughs.

Did the clip thingie work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back