Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
TX
City
Acuff
#1 I am using cough drops for clearing out congestion in the mornings. Then I also discovered that my yawns go away as long as I have a cough drop or peppermint in my mouth. Don't know why it works

#2. My daughter bought me a neat thing at The Container Store. It's a set of different sized rubber bands. It cost 3.99 for 6 of them. I use them on my face astringent lid, the laundry soap lid, the milk lid, and the doorknobs I open the most. What a big help they have been.

Tracy

Thanks for the great idea, Tracy. Off to the Container Store this morning !

off to the container store!

Hamilton-beach also make an opener for glass jars. Just place on top of the jar and press a button. Once the seal has been broken, press the release button. Cost was about $19. I got mine at walmart

I have problems with all lids, so on the small ones I use the hand held nut cracker it opens wide rough for the cap, but I still can get my hand to turn. I like the idea about the rubber bands for the larger ones. Any ideas for the gas cap on my car, so far I get go one of my adult kids to come to the gas station or meet me there. I also have a really hard time opening Ziploc bags and recyclable bags.

>Default Re: tips for yawns and jar lids, Hamilton-beach also make an opener for glass jars. Just place on top of the jar and press a button. Once the seal has been broken, press the release button. Cost was about $19. I got mine at walmart

On the list for today, thanks, Dalvin!

> Any ideas for the gas cap on my car, so far I get go one of my adult kids to come to the gas station or meet me there.

I can only do this with ViseGrips preset (our gas cap has a raised bar in the center. Otherwise, I have to let Sandy get the gas.

>I also have a really hard time opening Ziploc bags and recyclable bags.

Yes, me too. these are on the 'piss me off fast' list.

Don't know if it will work but had a thought. Your cal will have to set each bag up for you but thinking that a piece of strong tape on each side in the middle with the elands folded over so they don't stick together might be a solution to the zip lock bags. Would give you something to get a hold of.

thank you I'll try the tape and I'm not sure if I'm strong enough for vise grips I'll try though.

As far as gas, luckily my car has no gas cap. Also, I have push button start.

Ziplock bags - we buy the ones with the zipper plastic piece. I can't pull open those bags.

I use a bottle opener to open the folders plastic can.

Pliers are great for lots of things. Tearing off those liners on margarine bowls, putting pills in my daily pill boxes, and pulling cotton out of pill bottles.

I put a 3M hook on my power chair arm that holds my school keys.

I use a skirt hanger for drying my BiPap hose. I can hang it by carefully pinching the ends in the clips so I can let it soak with solution in it. Then just hang it like a scarf around the hook at the top to let it dry.

OXO Good Grips Jar Opener is what I use. It works on big & small screw lids. It also comes with a round rubber disc to set the jar on so the jar doesn't twist when opening. My Mom loved so much she bought one. Found ours on Amazon. I
Couldn't open any lids without it. I have seen gas cap grips on some website maybe HPFY?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 213
I have one of those. But I've lost the strength to use it now. My daughter uses it and will take it when she moves out in June, and makes us be empty nesters.

I don't have ALS but I am thinking I could use something like this, as my poor hands are very sore from all the gripping and pulling I do with Tim. Just this morning I was opening a new jar of coconut oil, and for a split second was going to bring it to Tim to open. I am 5'9" with small dainty hands and find large jar lids difficult to open. I know God has a sense of humour because, I didn't much like the fact that I cam from a family of very tall amazon like people, and prayed that I would have something dainty. So he answered my prayer and gave me small dainty hands and small narrow dainty feet to support this large body. OUCH! All but one of my other 4 sisters are 5'10", 5'11 ½" and not dainty, but very athletic. Sorry got off on a tangent.

Paulette

Good ideas I'll try them as I'm trying to be as independent as long as I can

I use a product called Sugru to help with things that I have trouble gripping. It is a silicone rubber that adheres to most anything and can be molded in whatever shape you want. You can put a series of dots around a doorknob so it is easier to grip. It is also useful to repair or modify many household items. You are limited only by your imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back