Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Charlotte
State: NC
Diagnosed: 01/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
skikaz is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb My most helpful items

These gadgets are so helpful to me and I use them all the time. I thought they should be shared just in case they might help someone else. I bought these on Amazon using my Amazon Prime account so on most I didn't have to pay for shipping. I'm including a link with them.

First is a neck roll that I use to support my feet when I sleep at night. I even went back to these after receiving my custom fitted boots that were made for me. The boots did keep my feet from swelling but would cause my calf muscles to hurt. They form a u shape around the foot restricting foot drop and lets the foot breathe more.

Contour Twist Pillow with Cover Price: $19.99

Second is the portable urinals. My home aide says she has never seen these but I've been using them for almost a year, They are great. One is cheaper because it does not have the foam on the opening.

Reusable Portable Male Comfort Fit Advantage Urinal System with Spill Proof Collection Bag Price: $33.99

Re-useable Portable Standard Male Advantage Urinal System with Down Drain Bag Making It Spill Proof Price: $29.99

For those that have to have a urinal available all the time, you have this nice bag to hide the catheter bag.

Catheter Bag Cover Price + Shipping $12.95 + $4.99 shipping

This version of the portable urinal cost a lot more but for me it is worth it because of the Privacy Bag. You carry this bag on your wheelchair while at the mall or where ever, go the restroom, then come back out with this back on the chair. I keep one in the van at all times.
While on the road I can use the urinal, then set it aside not worrying about it leaking.

Reusable Portable Male Comfort Fit Advantage Urinal System with Spill Proof Collection Bag and Black Privacy Bag Price: $50.99

Old 02-07-2014, 10:15 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Beaumont
State: Tx
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Tx Daddy's Girl is on a distinguished road
City: Beaumont
State: Tx
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Tx Daddy's Girl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My most helpful items

Thanks for this. My Dad is bed ridden and I'm constantly looking for things to help him. I'm definitely going to try the pillow. I think his urinal is fine, he hasn't mentioned any difficulty but my mom had to di it for him.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for those links!

I'm definitely going to get one maybe 2 of those pillows too.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:33 AM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: orlando
State: FL
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Barbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the rough
Extremely Helpful Member
City: orlando
State: FL
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Barbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the rough

love it thank you! I could see the drain down would alleviate spills in the bed. also the carrying case--now I care the urinal in a plastic bag if we go out in public and trying to get the urinal set up when he is wearing street close is a challenge (ya'll know you can't depend on handicapped bathrooms being right for a PALS). Pillow looks interesting and can surely be useful in many ways.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 AM #5 (permalink)

This is how you can form the pillow around your feet.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is one the nice boots. Sometimes I still wear these when in the pwc.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, back, catheter, cost, foot, foot drop, health, helpful, muscles, night, sleep, support, swelling, wheelchair