Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
CA
State
British Columbia
City
Vancouver
So I'm currently diagnosed as 'probable ALS' and in the last few months I've noticed my left hand getting weaker, as well as some issues with my right leg. It has made my job significantly more difficult (I'm a mechanic) and I think it's time I started getting ready to 'retire'. I've got an appointment with my neuro on the 24th and I'm fairly sure I'll be getting the official diagnosis. Sooooo.....just looking for some tips on disability insurance. I've got short term and long term through Great West Life, anybody know any good sites, things to do or not to do, etc.... I'm very suspicious of insurance companies

Sorry that you're having to be here.

I had GWL - you can view your account on line and determine illegibility and payment amounts. I would suggest you speak to your HR person as well as your financial planner before committing to your application. Typically LTD plans kick in, after EI benefits are exhausted. Some plans and/or employers top up, but most don't. Your financial planner can keep you apprised of tax sheltering as there may be onerous tax issues to consider. As soon as you get an official diagnosis, you should immediately apply for long term disability pension via CPP. It takes about six months to process, but is retroactive to date of application. ( I had mistakenly :confused: believed it was retroactive to diagnosis date which mistake cost me five months of benefits). The next item to apply for is the disability tax credit. It's worth 10k yearly and transferable between spouses. There are many expenses which can be deducted. You will also have the option of extending your GWL health benefits but you'll have to pay it yourself. Again, some employers do cover those, but most do not.

The application forms for these are easily accessed on line. Including the handicap placard from the BC ministry. Once these housekeeping issues are taken care of, you can get back to the business of enjoying life! :)

I don't know why you would use EI first.....I won't be getting laid off, I will not be able to perform my job due to illness - which is typically when you apply for short term or long term disabilty. I know in our contract it states we have to go on short term first (3 months) before long term kicks in. That said, I have alot of homework to do...

Also I haven't told my employer yet..... anything I need to lock down before I do?

Sean,

If I were you, until you have the firm diagnosis next week - I'd hold off telling my employer - but again it depends
on the size of your company, relationships, corporate culture etc - do you alert HR or the company owner? It'll likely be a shock for them. I'm hoping that on the 24th, the neuro tells you something else and all this will be moot.

Our GWL specifically required EI for 15 weeks - then long term - when you know you're not coming back. But, there are so many varying plans, it's hard to keep them straight. Did you look to see if you can keep insurance up? It'll be worth it if you do have ALS and requiring the array of equipment.

Good luck next week!

I've had no problem with GWL Although I did have to go on Short term for 6 months before long term kicked it... They also deduct any payment I receive from CPP from their payment. And they require you to apply for CPP before LTD kicks in..

I think it depends on which corporate plan your employer has with the insurance provider - my case, Manulife. I had to go on short term first for 3 months (paperwork from HR and my doctor), then onto LTD (more paperwork). My insurance provider is currently sending me the CCP Disability paperwork - this amount when approved, will be deducted from my LTD. The social worker with the ALS clinic completed my paperwork for my CCP Disability tax credit.

I had a good relationship with my management team, so I did speak to them in advance but if this was not the case, I could have gone directly to HR in confidence to give a heads-up and identify the required paperwork for short-term.

I am also with Manulife. Your STD and LTD coverage is based on your corporate plan and in which plan you have enrolled. I have been on STD which is then followed by LTD. Benefit time and $ depend on the details of your plan. I went on STD 4 months before official diagnosis as I was having difficulty with mobility and coping with the stress of multiple tests and potential ALS. It is up to you when you decide to stop working. It should not affect your benefits regardless of a confirmed diagnosis.

Once LTD kicks in the insurance company will insist you apply to CPP Disability Benefits. Forms provided by insurance company and require input/signature from Doctor. If CPP is approved the amount received is deducted from your LTD amount. LTD benefits are not taxable but CPP benefits are taxable.

When/if you receive a diagnosis and it falls into the disability category, you can apply for the Disability Tax Credit. Forms provided by insurance company and require input/signature from Doctor. Once CRA approves you can claim the tax credit on your income tax return.

I have had no problems with the insurance company. I am now in the process of applying for CPP and requesting an adjustment to my 2012 tax return as the Disability Tax Credit form was inadvertently not sent to CRA. I don't expect any problems but expect to wait for the government to process the forms.

Hope this is clear and helps you in your next steps.

Evelyn

It helps. I'm not going to tell my employer anything until I talk to the team at the ALS clinic, they have social workers and advisers who are supposed to be good with all that. From what I've heard about disability at work we don't have the EI clause, but I do have CPP coming off my paychecks - however I was out of the country for years so I'm not sure if I'll qualify there. As it is my employer may want me to stay on in another role for awhile that is not as physical but we'll see...

My LTD is taxable.. And GWL deducts it for me.. However CPP is also taxable but they do not deduct taxes unless you request them to... (never made any sense to me) They know you will have to pay taxes at tax time.. Why not auto deduct? I'm guessing if it was your only source of income you would not be paying taxes at the end of the year anyway..

Well I had my visit on thursday & surprisingly my neuro did not move me from 'probable' to 'definite'. He said that while I have obvious symptoms in my arms and legs he couldn't see any Bulbar issues... so that's kind of good news I guess. The bad news is that I went over my disability benefits with the social worker and it looks like I need to work another 3 months to safely apply for them. Really not sure if I can make it...guess we'll just have to see

Sean

I had no bulbar involvement when I was diagnosed. I feel bad you have to keep working, despite the difficulties. Doesn't seem right. Is the neuro being extra cautious? A second opinion maybe?

Can you apply at least for short term disability or even a medical leave for EI?

He said that there has to be involvement in 3 regions before a definite diagnosis - I've only got two, legs and arms. There may be a way to go on STD or EI, but our contract is pretty clear that once I've been insured continuosly for a year I'm home free....and I've got a wife and a 6 year old boy to take care of so I need to make 110% sure that my bases are covered before I actually apply.

Three areas?....that does not seem right .
I would go for a second opinion. Go to an ALS clinic where the doc has seen hundreds of cases

Sean your doctor is using the EL Escorial criteria for ALS. Possible ALS = 1 region, probable 2 and definite 3. The thing is that probable ALS by El Escorial will get you into an ALS clinical trial! I think it is horribly confusing and if it is keeping you from disability that you need very unfair. Can you talk to your doctor or maybe call your ALS association and ask to talk to a social worker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back