Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
mass.
City
WESTBOROUGH
Swallowing has progressed to a point where I'm on a 24/7 blended soup diet. Clam chowder for breakfast is not the greatest option.I have chosen not to go the feeding
tube route I am looking for suggestions from other PALS for breakfast alternatives.
Additionally, how are folks dealing with the saliva issue? I have just started using atropine drops without initial success

Yogurt, fruit smoothie with berries might be better breakfast option than clam chowder. As a little juice, so it's not too thick.

I take tizanidine for the muscle cramps, and it has the beloved side effect of drying up the saliva. The only problem I have with it is that interacts with caffeine, so I've had to dilute my breakfast coffee half-and-half and cut back on the amount.

Good luck.
Hollister

My PALS eats porridge with stewed fruits for breakfast.

Lightly scrambled eggs could be good too, they can be whisked after cooking if needed.

my husband eats very soft scrambled eggs every morning. cream added in and sometimes cheese too, or pureed sausage or bacon.

He use to eat oatmeal every morning, but it made him have coughing fits. How about cream of wheat?

Swallowing has progressed to a point where I'm on a 24/7 blended soup diet. Clam chowder for breakfast is not the greatest option.I have chosen not to go the feeding
tube route I am looking for suggestions from other PALS for breakfast alternatives.
Additionally, how are folks dealing with the saliva issue? I have just started using atropine drops without initial success

Sandy makes me a smoothie every morning to use to take the collection of pills :-(. It works and she makes another small amount which I take to work and cut with red vitamin water.

Helps with the hunger. She also makes a gazpacho in another Thermos which I cit with two small cans of v8 for afternoon hunger :).

saliva issue..................Glycopyrrol is the prescribed prescription drug that was recommended by Hospice for my wife.

Before, I was the #1 buyer of napkins at our local Walmart..........sarc
I still have the last napkins unopened from last year when she started on Glycopyrrol .

( 3 pills a day )

thanks Bowser, I will ask our physician about this drug, the saliva issue is starting to defy containment of lips that won't seal properly ...

Tim enjoys his smoothy that contains 3/4 cp vanilla yogurt, 2TBSP Chia seeds, 1/3 cp hemp hearts, 3 TBSP coconut oil, a dropper of echinacea & golden seal, a dropper of grape seed extract, 1/2 cp of juice, 1TBSP of enerex greens, blend then add 1/2 cp of frozen fruit, blend some more. He drinks it through a thick straw, and takes his vitamins with it. He swears that he really notices it if he doesn't have it, even if he has had alternate filling breakfast. I now make some up to take with us when we travel, and store it in a cooler, as he would be pooped mid day without it. It also keeps his bowels working regularly.

Tim enjoys his smoothy that contains 3/4 cp vanilla yogurt, 2TBSP Chia seeds, 1/3 cp hemp hearts, 3 TBSP coconut oil, a dropper of echinacea & golden seal, a dropper of grape seed extract, 1/2 cp of juice, 1TBSP of enerex greens, blend then add 1/2 cp of frozen fruit, blend some more. He drinks it through a thick straw, and takes his vitamins with it. He swears that he really notices it if he doesn't have it, even if he has had alternate filling breakfast. I now make some up to take with us when we travel, and store it in a cooler, as he would be pooped mid day without it. It also keeps his bowels working regularly.

I am glad he can still drink thru a straw.

When my wife first started having difficulty with speech and swallowing, she completely lost her ability to use a straw.

I am glad he can still drink thru a straw.

When my wife first started having difficulty with speech and swallowing, she completely lost her ability to use a straw.

me too. :-(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back