Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Ottawa
Since having seemingly misplaced my "lift off" arm muscles, the only chair I can easily rise from is my power tilt recliner.

That's fine... if I stay home 24/7.

I've researched "up lift" and "seat assist" cushion types. In both cases, the reviews are really mixed.:confused: If anyone here has knowledge of these items, please let me know before I provide amazon my credit card.... yet again.:roll::roll:

I'm specifically needing a cushion which is portable, cordless and is effective on a sofa or soft chair as well on a hard surface chair.

Thank you.

I don't have any ideas but very interested to hear what works Elaine? Must be something out there?

Elaine I think Rog used one. you might ask Jen.

Elaine,
My husband tried one of those, but he did not feel secure enough to use it. Yes, Amazon got our cc that time :(. He felt like he was being pushed forward by the cushion. I think the armrests on the lift chair give the additional sense of security/balance. Our PT did not think they are a good idea in hubby's case either. - Rose

Would your local ALS association have a loaner for you to try?

Thanks. Sadly John, no loaners. In fact it's not on the inventory list, as I understand it.

I went to a store today to try it out - really didn't like it. It's downright scary in a way and not very comfortable.
Rose, your PT is right! Jen said Rog liked his, but eventually preferred his PWC.

Gonna stick to tried and true ( and cheaper): " have large cushion - will travel! "

On another note... Did buy a bed grab bar ( another item absent from loan closet) today. Should be helpful to get to a sitting position in bed. Loan closet does have poles - but we have 13' ceilings - besides which, I'd likely have to learn special dances and I'm not keen on that!:oops:

The bed grab bar is great. Helps you get up and a big help for turning over at night. I found a couch assist. Like a grab handle that hooks under the leg of the couch. Not the best, but somewhat helpful. It really is best if you have something for both sides when standing, rather than just 1 grab handle on one side.

Hey Elaine, I have a grab bar that sit between the mattress and box spring, called Bed Helper, from the CCAC. I have it on loan until it is available from the loan closet. The CCAC OT recommended it.

Hey Elaine, I have a grab bar that sit between the mattress and box spring, called Bed Helper, from the CCAC. I have it on loan until it is available from the loan closet. The CCAC OT recommended it.

Alas, none available for me when I asked last week. I just paid $85.00 for it. The plastic is still on it and the store told me I can return it if I don't like it. I'll ask the CCAC folks here.
The "system" is confusing a bit!

Mich - I saw those " couch cane" thingamajigs on AMA zon. Think I'll go with the big cushion for now - and avoid armless seats!

Elaine the system is very confusing. My understanding it works like this:
CCAC OT places the order to the OMS for a loan-to-buy equipment and the OMS sends the equipment for a month free
The CCAC OT also sends the recommendation to the ALS Society and they order the equipment from the loan closet
You get your equipment from the loan closet and OMS takes back the loan-to-buy equipment.

I figured this out the hard way... and so you know, the loan closet is short of equipment right now.
Phew...

I'm gonna stick with the bed helper I bought. Its more expedient - suddenly, I need it now. ( Dang!)
The ALS clinic OT tried to get me one. Guess the cupboard is bare... Very disconcerting news.

My father had the same problem getting out of a seat. I bought him a seat assist lift cushion. It works well for him, he weighs about 125 lbs. and the cushion gives him enough umph to get him moving. It's also small enough that he can carry it with him.

I'm gonna stick with the bed helper I bought. Its more expedient - suddenly, I need it now. ( Dang!)
The ALS clinic OT tried to get me one. Guess the cupboard is bare... Very disconcerting news.
What is a bed helper? I could use some help there.

~ Marilyn

Hmm,

Welcome! Sorry you have to be here - I'm sure you'd rather be elsewhere.

A bed helper is a grab bar for your bed. I have difficulty moving & sitting up in bed. Check with your ALS office though, if you need one. They'll likely have one you could borrow. I've attached a picture. It slides in between your mattress and box spring. The " prongs" are ling, so it's very sturdy. There are other models and are easily found on line.

I also was really bothered by my inability to move my bed covers, so I got rid of the heavy duvet and got an Australian wool duvet. It's so much lighter and manageable. The silk duvets are also very lightweight.

If you need anything, we're here for you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 277
a light weight down comforter works great. I don't use a top sheet, just the comforter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back