Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Indianapolis
Was looking online for alternatives to the Hoyer lift, I ran across this EasyPivot and watched some videos, it looks like a dream machine! Has anyone tried this for transferring a PALS? My stepfather is a big guy and very impatient when he wants to move or go to the bathroom, taking 20 minutes to position and hook up a crazy sling to a Hoyer just doesn't appear to be a reasonable alternative not to mention how large and hard to maneuver I have found them to be. Also not very reasonable for trying to get pants up and down for toileting which is one of the biggest problems we have. I am eager to see if we can get an EasyPivot but just wondering if it is really as easy to use as they show in the videos or if anyone has had any difficulties with using one?

It does look easier than the Hoyer. However, as a PALS with diminished lung capacity, i can tell you that it would be extremely uncomfortable for me to be transferred on my chest. I wouldn't like it at all. You should ask him how he feels about it, but i don't think it's a long term solution. As his lung capacity diminishes, he probably will not be able to tolerate it for more than a few seconds. I have also read that it can be problematic with feeding tubes, although i don't quite see how.

@designdiva:

I just wanted to add that EasyPivot Lift has some limitations.
For example, it can't lift a patient who has fallen on the floor. Hoyer Lift can do that.

So, EasyPivot should be only for ALS patients with no respiratory problems, no PEG-tubes and...for patients who are going to spend most or their time seated or in bed. Not good for patients who still ambulate but who are at risk of falling while walking because EasyPivot won't be helpful to get them off the floor.

I would suggest that you still keep the Hoyer Lift even if you acquire the EasyPivot later on.

Best regards,

Well the topic you choose really unique and information is ultimate you gave us. I completely enjoyed the post and hoping more post from you soon.

Was looking online for alternatives to the Hoyer lift, I ran across this EasyPivot and watched some videos, it looks like a dream machine! Has anyone tried this for transferring a PALS? My stepfather is a big guy and very impatient when he wants to move or go to the bathroom, taking 20 minutes to position and hook up a crazy sling to a Hoyer just doesn't appear to be a reasonable alternative not to mention how large and hard to maneuver I have found them to be. Also not very reasonable for trying to get pants up and down for toileting which is one of the biggest problems we have. I am eager to see if we can get an EasyPivot but just wondering if it is really as easy to use as they show in the videos or if anyone has had any difficulties with using one?

What type of sling are you using? A divided leg sling should only take a minute or so to get positioned and attached to the lift. We worked out a sequence that allowed me to get Annie in the sling whether she was seated or lying down in roughly a minute. I can imagine it being a lot more difficult using other than a divided leg sling.

Have you looked into getting adaptive clothing? For example you can get pants that can be put on while the patient is seated. The back can be opened for toileting. Since you said that is one of the biggest problems you have I'd suggest looking into what's available. There are a lot of options available that can make life easier for both pals and cals.

I completely agree with the other comments about pals not being able to tolerate the compression on the abdomen as their breathing capacity deteriorates. Even leaning forward while seated can make breathing impossible for a pals as the disease progresses.

We just got the Reliant 350 Stand and Lift system and I find it much easier than the Hoyer. We tried to the Stand and Pivot system but my PAL could not tolerate the leaning over. It hurt his shoulders. He still has some strength in his legs but he is not able to stand and pivot on his own. It looks like the system has a sling that can be used once his leg muscles are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back