Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Nc
City
Huntersville
My first post. I've been lurking and reading, and have been very touched by your caring community. I've gotten a lot of great tips from you all.

My very sweet sister has been an active iPad user since her ALS diagnosis in October 2012. Her hand strength is failing and her finger pointing is going fast.

I've read these tips and gadgets looking for some help. Is the stylus heavy or useable for someone with limited strength & mobility?

Her voice and breathing are both compromised so voice activation software is a maybe, but she gets very tired/exhausted speaking.

Any help? We hate to loose this connection with her, and for her to be able to communicate with others.

Thank you so much in advance.

Hi welcome and sorry you have to be here. My sister's hands went first and she used voice activation until her speech was compromised. She was understandable to us significantly longer than the software worked. She has a Dynavox activated with her eyes now. Does your sister go to a clinic they should have an assistive technology clinic she can go to to see what works for her.

Take care
Nikki

Last edited:
I use a fat stylus to type on my iPad. So easy!

I have no use of my hands or arms and no voice either. I have been using SmartNav for over a year. I do Facebook, emails, photoshop, and ALS Forum. SmartNav uses a camera that reflects a dot placed on my forehead or glasses that controls the curser to type on an online keyboard. It costs $500.00

I also have a $13,000. computer (paid by Medicare) that uses a camera that reflects off the retina of my left eye. I can look at the keyboard , stare at a letter and type. The computer will then speak what I type. It also has thousands of phrases already made up that you can choose from. Its on a stand that can go anywhere.

I prefer the SmartNav because once it's set up all you do is sit down put your glasses on and you're ready to go. With the EyeGaze it has to be calibrated to your eye and requires someone to help set it up.

Your ALS Association or Clinic will be able to help. Good luck to you.

I can't use my hands but I still uśe my iPad everyday. I have a mouth stylus made by ifaraday. We also have a stand that holds the iPad nearly vertical and can rotate horizontal or vertical. We also raised the kitchen table to accommodate my wheelchair and so I don't have to bend over.
Tom

If she can grip fatter things, a pencil (or a stylus) can be inserted into a hunk of pipe insulation from a home improvement store. The pipe insulation is like a very thick foam rope with a hole down the center. You can cut a hunk and insert a toothbrush, fork, spoon, stylus - anything. I mention the pencil because I've heard the eraser end will work on an iPad. I've also heard the terry cloth wristbands work to hold a stylus if she is still able to use her arm if her finger dexterity goes.

Thanks for the welcome and a path to follow. She does go to the clinic at Hopkins but appts are so far apart (5 months) and her progression so fast. But I will pursue these options for her!

You can also use the spongy pink thingies from hair curlers to put a stylus or silverware in.

The SmartNav headmouse worked GREAT for me until my neck got too weak. Now I'm using a Dynavox eye gaze, but I've also been looking into the Tobii Pceye Go. That looks like a good product for eye gaze on your existing pc.

my husband loves his smart nav. All I have to do it put his hat on him every morning and he rolls over to his computer. he still has control of his neck thank goodness.

And if all that fails, as long as she can still control one muscle somewhere, a switch click typing system can be built for her. My dad and I made one out of parts we had in the house plus a switch control box for a fellow with muscular dystrophy who could only control his left eyebrow. It is slow as you can possibly imagine, though with practice and good control of that one muscle it could become merely annoyingly slow. You use a scanning keyboard or mouse with it.

Contact your local ALS Service Society. We have Dynavox on loan and have applied for one via insurance. If you don't have insurance to cover, I am sure the loaner will continue. Dynavox has head mouse and eye gaze capabilities. A speech therapist will come to your house to evaluate.

Thank you everyone. We got an appt with assistive technology therapy at Hopkins. The bad news is it isn't until oct.

Someone mentioned using an eraser for the iPad but that doesn't seem to work for us. I'm going to try to find a fat light stylus for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back