Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
She is progressing quickly. It's strange because last night she was able to use a regular fork instead of the built up utensils. Her left hand is completely immobile and her right is at the brink of loosing all movement. I usually do her range of motion at least once a day. P.T. tells me at least twice, but wow the time flys its difficlult to make her feel comfortable the whole day, fix meals, do housework, excersizes, take care of our four high maintence pets.

Well this turned into a venting post but the real question I have is that she is having trouble with flem. She is unable to spit it out and looks like she is going to get sick each time. All I have been doing is rushing to get a napkin. Any advice? Also, lately her arms are getting sore also from the position she lays. She is loosing body strength. She insists on sleeping on the couch. Any advice apprechiated. Thanks.

Sometimes she talks better days than others. Also forgot to add she has trouble gettin food out from her teeth. She says she " feels like a chipmunk". Bless her.

Hi Angela,

To treat the phlegm problem your mother has, have you considered getting her a "cough assist" apparatus if you don't have one already?
If you don't have one, you may want to contact your Local Chapter of the ALS Association (ALSA) and try to see if they can facilitate one to you from their "Loaner Closet".

For the arm sores you could try to get a cushion which can also be loaned from ALSA.

Just try to get in touch with your ALSA Representative and explain him/her what your mother needs and they will send someone to your home with that equipment.

I hope this helps.

NH

Thank you NH, I will contact our ALS representative.

Ask for a suction machine
Make sure she is well hydrated.
Try avoiding beverages and foods that tend to thicken secretions. (Milk and dairy are culprits for me.)
Frequent mouth care is essential. I have some foods that tend to get caught at the gum line and must be removed manually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back