Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
ga
City
savannah
My dad was diagnosed in feburary with ALS. Since then he has already lost all mobility in his lower exremities and is starting to loose them in his upper. Tonight he was using his potty chair and fell. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help him to the toilet. It is so frustrating for him and all he wants to do is really is sit on a normal toilet.

Thanks for any adivce

Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer79,

Couldn't you use a Hoyer lift (these can be loaned from your local chapter of ALSA "Loaner Closet") and, then pivoting the transfer lift stand so that your father could roll up to, stand and not have to move. You could then rotate the transfer stand and then lower him down on the toilet comode.

Just a suggestion.
Perhaps other CALS and PALS friends on the forum could offer more suggestions to you.

Regards,

NH

how was he moving to potty chair. from sitting position with transfer board or just trying to get to chair without a board. with some strength still in arms he can use transfer board. if using wheel chair make commode same height as wc so transfer can be made easir

If your dad has lost mobility in his legs, a transfer board is likely only a short-term fix leading up to a Hoyer lift unless he has multiple caregivers at all times. But I think you are talking re a fall from the commode chair? Try an exercise step or other footrest (one with some give). Also, we have a foam/nylon belt that we velcro around our PALS' legs, just below the knee, at toilet time. We use the same belt, just above the knee, in bed for sleep.

This forum is truly amazing. Everytime i need advice yall no exactly what to do to help. He does have a hoyer lift and my mom is trying that today. He was getting to the potty chair with help. I think he has to get out of the mindset that he can still use his legs so we have to introduce things one day at a time. My dad was a very outgoing man untill feburary so it is hard for him to except the help.

I'm using the hoyer with a u-sling. Since my torso has lost strength we leave the sling on and attached to the lift while toileting. Sometimes I use a small pillow behind my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back