Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
US
State
VA
City
Richmond
My ALS started in my dominant right-hand and is now moving to my left. One of the things I have found helpful has been several sets of small vice grips. I can clip them on to a Ziploc bag, or onto the edge of my jacket to helping me get it off. My husband still works full-time so I'm alone most of the time. I'm in pretty good shape except for the nonworking hands and a wobbly ankle.
The vice grips are nice because once you lock them they will hold onto things and magnify the little power I have left in my hands.
Hope this helps somebody else.
Holly

Holly-

Great idea! You've just helped me.

(I've been using my teeth... not a pretty sight - especially tugging at my coat zipper.)

Thanks and wishing you a wonderful Holly-day season.

So glad it worked out. I have got vice grips everywhere. You think I was a mechanic or something. Have a wonderful holiday season. Weather reports looks like you get more snow in Ontario and were getting down here. My stepdaughter is visiting from Texas and she was really hoping to see snow.
I've been using my teeth too so glad the vice grips may work. Both of our dentists will be happier!
Holly

Holly what a grand idea. Hubby has CIDP and has atrophy of his right hand and your vice grip idea will help him out. Merry Christmas.

Laurel

My daughter swiped mine... maybe Santa will bring me a new one!

Now if they would make one big enough to open my two liters of diet coke....

They do ! Darling Husband bought me a big set that covers darned near every task . And with the help of 2 jar openers I'm doing okay . Would be better if I hadn't burnt myself on the good hand with hot coffee this morning !

What an excellent idea, I usually ask one of our girls or my wife to help me but if they aren't around or I want to remain somewhat independent I'm going to do the same. Thanks for the idea.

Nutcrackers work great on soda bottles...

I'm glad I found this post. Hopefully it will help my mom because her left hand is non working and right one is getting weaker..

hello this is a great idea. thanks.

Thanks for the helpful tips. To open soda bottles i use an opener from pampered chef. It also has a place on the end that slips over coke can tabs and with minimal effort is will pop the can open. It has a magnet so it stick to the fridge. I will look for a link to the opener if anyone wants it. Barbara

Thanks for the great tip on the vice grips. To open sada bottles & soda cans, i use a pampererd chef opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back